HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   jumping deer ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/216668-jumping-deer.html)

classified 11-08-2007 02:15 PM

jumping deer ?

the past couple of times i have entered the woods behide my parents house i have been jumping deer.i usally walk to the top of the hill so that it is flat thats where i usally see all the deer. i have jumped these deer less then a 100yards from the house the last three times i have gone up ( all in the evening) one is a real nice buck. do you think they will stay in the area or move on? they have never snorted or stomped at me . just bolted off. what do you guys think.

RugerM77.270 11-08-2007 02:18 PM

RE: jumping deer ?

If you contunue to do it repeatedly they may move or become skiddish. I think you shoud change the way you enter take your time and when you enter go in earlier and see if you can bet them.

classified 11-08-2007 02:24 PM

i think that they are coming in late morning or early afternoon.i am going to try and set up there in the moring and stay all day. i am going to go in at light becouse i do not know exactley where to go. The buck is at least an 8 or 10 so i hope he hangs around but who know i might already have blown it.

burniegoeasily 11-08-2007 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

If you contunue to do it repeatedly they may move or become skiddish. I think you shoud change the way you enter take your time and when you enter go in earlier and see if you can bet them.
What he said. If you keep jumping them, they will move to less pressure. Some times its unavoidable. Just be sure to enter your stand with the wind in your face and it will help.

classified 11-08-2007 02:38 PM

thats the problem that is the only place to enter the woods. there is a logging road that is behide there house.i have to use it becouse the rest of it is pretty steep and would be real loud trying to climb .if nothing else maybe they will go back to the top of the hill.

wack 11-08-2007 02:59 PM

We've got a wise old buck who hanges around close to the house and I believe he watches us go back to our trucks every evening. I could have shot him a dozen times after dark, illegally. He seems to know it too. Last night I left my stand ealy to get the jump on him. I guessed pretty good and got within 35 yards of him. Not quite good enough but the best I've done so far. If I could hunt tonight, I'd know right where to go but some *#~! slashed my tires while I was hunting.
Getting there before he does sounds like a good plan. It's worked for me a time or two. I know trying to set up with a climber in the dark can be difficult. A simular situation I carried my climber in in the dark and set up on the ground with a tree umbrella for a small blind. As it grew light, I saw a tree nearby that I could climb. That was a gun hunt and I sat in my climber about 10 minutes before I shot the buck I was after. I'd have missed him if I had to go back to the truck for my climber. I did that the year before and spooked a buck freshening up his scrape while I was returning with my climber. Would have been a 30 yard shot if I would have just stayed put on the ground.
good luck, go get 'im!