Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes, any legal buck
6.59%
somewhat, but not too much lower
35.16%
no i stick to my plan, even if it means tag soup
43.96%
no standards, any legal buck that gives me a shot is fair game
14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

standards...

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: standards...

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

I agree, standards are standards. BUT, i refuse to fill my first bow tag with a cull buck. There are too many other good deer to do so. Now, toward the end of the season (or on my second tag) im willing to take a deer that needs to be removed from the herd.

I decide this typically in the summer by looking at trail cam pics. I just made the post about that old 8 pointer...now a 7pt that i would love to take. He is below my typical standards as far as antler size goes however he is well above my maturity standards!
I agree with you alot on what you say here! The only diference between your season and mine is i only get onetag, very rarely do they give out more tags in my area.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I think I've realized that my "standard" is subject to change based on what's in front of me. I guess I just reserve the right to change my mind on a whim.

But....I see a lot of does in my future......and fewer and fewer bucks.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

M06
You reach a point where killing a buck does not make your season, but the pursuit of the buck does.

The buck I am hunting is kicking my arse right now, I have learned more this season then thepast 4. The past for years i have shot 5 bucks over 120'' in MI.

I learned a great lesson in KY this year. I have learned to adopt and move this year, the rut is down and I have a theory as to why. I have spent many hours in my stand this year. More than the last two years combined. It has been terrific, and like I said I have learned a ton.

Almost anyone in MI can go out and shoot a buck, hell I have lost count on how many 1.5I have seen.

I will end with this, shooting a 1.5 or 2.5 will not make me a better hunter, eating tag soup will. My goal every year is to learn more, and be a better mature buck hunter.

It's not over, I have my first SE wind tomorrow. I will be in his bedroom at 4:30 AM

Old 11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

No lowering here. I get no pleasure in killing a young buck just for the sake of saying that I did. That is pointless to me.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

I don't set standards when it comes to what I will or won't shoot,it all depends on my mood at the time a shot presents itself.As far as shooting something that won't make me happy that will never happen because evry deer I take fills me with joy and pride I guess I don't understand you guys that are'nt happy unless you kll huge bucks,not that it is wrong just not my cup of tea after all I'm deer hunting not trophy hunting.Now if I was hunting in a trophy buck rich area I might sing a different tune,but as it is I will keep on keeping on.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely NOT! I have intentions and goals throughout each season. I will not bend on them, I'd rather eat tag soup and go into the next season with a fire under me!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

There is a difference between "hunting for meat" and doing what is right for the whitetail herd in your area. Science STATES that it is better for hunters to take the old does, and let the young bucks walk. If you hunt for meat, shoot a doe. It is all about Quality Deer Management, IMHO. Its about doing what it best for the animals and nature, on all fronts.

Hope I dont piss anyone off, but thats just the way I see it. I am not dumb enough to think everyone things this way, but I think they should!!

Hunt safe!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

schultzy...wasnt offended in any way, just making that clear...

Germ, was just going to PM you!! just been curious as to how things are goin...good luck buddy...love those seasons that you feel you learn more than any others ever...i can relate, with my turkey hunting...

i also know what you mean about "maturing as a hunter..." and learning more yearly...i understand that fully...

last year was really my first as a DEER hunter..period. yes, ive gun hunted 7 years prior to last, but the first 4 or 5 i was under dads wing...he taught me what i know about finding deer, but rifle season came, and we were sitting in funnels and pinchpoints looking to put meat in the freezer...we drug several does out and seen alot of deer. just never "waited" for a buck...then 16 or 17 i got with my crew i hunt with now and started hunting in drives...id take stand alot of mornings before driving, but never put in time to scout long and hard...

so im pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to buck hunting from a stand...but i feel im doing well thus far...

just curious as to who sticks to their guns, or who isnt afraid of tag soup etc....no wrong answers..just curious...

i feel after this year, i will be a changed hunter. already started my scouting for next season, and wont stop...i want access to MORE land, better land, and better bucks...even considering PAYING for access...found a "club" within a township, they got the landowners to go along with their system..noone hunts without permission...noone gets permission without paying...and i think you have to take a doe first, and bowhunting only...i REALLY feel that will up my odds of good bucks, and will teach me more about hunting older/mature bucks...something i know little to nothing about, because my older, bigger deer are 2.5 tops usually...i feel if nothing else, having access to better land will TEACH me more about DEER in general...still deciding on that whole deal...and either way, my knuckles will be bloody by spring, once season closes, i plan to start knocking...here and school both hold slugs...just gotta get access to the right properties...

but i know i will never learn more about deer and deer hunting if i take the first legal buck that walks by me...i just "felt the need" to get that first bow kill under my belt...im confident i could have laid a bigger buck down this season...not regretting my decision..still thrilled...but i will admit, i got lazy...instead of sitting on stand fridays and saturdays i chased small game or turkeys at home...hunted at school as much as possible though after taking my buck...if i didnt take my buck, i would still been out there watching and learning..i love learning and becoming a better hunter...thats what its all about...
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I don't really set standards either. I don't hunt a specific buck and I don't hunt for trophy's. If I see something and I can be happy showing it off to my buddies, I take it. If not, than thats fine too. I've eaten my tag quite a few years because of passing deer. But I've also shot my share of basket rackets. Its all about what makes me happy at the time. I know many have said it, but honestly...I will not pass a buck that I would shoot the last day
Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 AM

My trophy room looks exactly like the freezer !!!!!! If the antlers happen to be bigger...well then good fer me !!! I always say them horns make really s*%ty soup.

Quick Reply: standards...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.