Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 windage and broadhead question... >

windage and broadhead question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

windage and broadhead question...

Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default windage and broadhead question...

OK I have a Hoyt Trykon XL 70lb with a fuse drop away cronoed at @ 280fps, I was just curious today and took one of my (already shot) hellrazor 100 grains and took a 20 yard shot at my target, I was kind of shocked cause it impacted about 3 inches left ( which I almost never do) so I retrieved it and shot again and it hit the same spot then one more time. so thinking my sight got bumped I ran in and grabbed my target arrows with field points and shot 3 dead center in the target all three arrows were touching, so now I'm confused, there was a slight breeze coming from right to left....

can that slight breeze send my arrow about 3 inches off target? or do I need to do some tuning? P.S I shot the arrow with the broadhead 3 times and all three times they impacted within 3 inches of eachother to on the left side of my target.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: windage and broadhead question...

I would shoot ina still breeze and it see if it has any affects, it it was still hitting to the left i would make a pin adjustment. This is just my opinion.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Tough place to get an answer sometimes unless you are a core guy... Here's my take:

What do you consider a slight breeze? Wind will affect point of impact, but at 20 yards, 3" to the left of center would require a pretty stiff breeze IMO.

Assuming you shot those broadheads prior to the season and they were grouping with your field points, the first thing I would try is shoot a couple different broadhead tipped arrows instead of shooting the same one over and over. It's quite possible that the arrow you've been shooting is the culprit.

After shooting the other arrows, if you are having the same results (3" to the left), then it is possible youmay be having a tuning problem, but keep in mind that your fieldpoints and broadheads may not group exactly to the same point of impact, even out of a well tuned bow.

To go one step further, if all the broadhead tipped arrows are grouping well together, personally I'd just adjust the sight and call it good for the time being. On the other hand, if the arrows are impacting all over the target, then you have a definate tuning problem.

Hope this helps bud.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

thank you very much thats deff helpful i'm gonna go out and try a few diff things and see if there's a diff.

oh and it was about 2-3 mph with the occasional gust since it was in my backyard with lots of structures
Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Has that same arrow ever been shot and did it hit the center of the target when it was? My first suspect is an unbalanced broadhead/arrow. 3" left is way too much of a variance at 20 yds. to be from the wind. You'd have trouble holding the bow on target in that much wind. (You could prove it by turning the target around and shooting from the other direction to see if you impact 3" to the right with an opposing crosswind.) Are you shooting with a glove or heavier jacket now than you were earlier in the season? I found a heavy jacket caused me to shoot about 3-4 inches left when my draw length was 1/2" too long. (Shortened the draw and the difference went away, but I still see a difference between wearing gloves or not on my release hand; affects the anchor point.)
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

did a little experiment and (though I didnt want to) I shot 3 arrows with broadheads (which are target only now) and 3 with field tips and for some reason the hellrazor tipped arrows were 2-3 inches to the left every time, so I did a little tuning and its not perfect but its within a 3 inch group now. I think that next year I will be shooting an expandible like the Rage 2 blade and hope if flys like my field tips, I really dont like having to tune my bow for BH and FT I'd rather just have it dead on with the fieldtips and have expandables that fly true
Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good ideas mentioned already. My 2cents is make sure you shoot more than one of your arrows to see if you have a bent arrow/insert/BH before you much of anything else. your pinsor restmight have moved a hair if its not the case. My peep caught on a branch earlier this season and made me miss a coyote low...three times[]
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Wind could cause it, but id guess hand torque, rest needs tuned, or that broadhead needs to be tuned. Did you spin test it? I have yet to have a fixed head fly different than my field points when my bow and arrows were all tuned.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 PM

At least they were all grouping together. In the future, you must practice with your broadheads before going into the field. You need to know exactly where they are hitting and can never assume they will fly like field points. My experience has indicated that my fixed blade heads don't fly to the exact same point of impact as my field points even out of a tuned bow. Others can get their broadheads to duplicate their field points, but for me that has been a rare occurance.

You don't have to give up on fixed blade heads just because they don't fly to the same point of impact as field tips either. Just make sure your rig is tuned to the best of your ability and you should be fine.Once it is tuned, sight adjustments are easy if point of impact is different for broadheads provided you are grouping well.

You can also experiment with other broadheads in the off season because they are not created equal and some fly better than others.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

thank you all for your input, I've been tweaking all day and I think I'm gonna chalk it up to my Fuse drop away, I thought hand tourqe at first but after 3 shots of nearly letting the loop catch my bow, the shot placement was the same

Quick Reply: windage and broadhead question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.