Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update) >

Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update)

Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update)

Matt here again......we're still hunting hard. Up at 3:30 every morning and back to the truck after dark. (That and a 1hr ride to the hunting areas makes for some long days!

Tuesday Nov 6:
Dawned cold and windy here in S. IL. The deer were moving early but no big bucks. We saw several young bucks, including a basket racked 8pt that was running a doe in a CRP field and one "good" buck but he only had thick beams and very short tines......a massive frame but something genetically wrong with him.
We hunted the same area in the evening and struck out entirely on deer sightings but I had fun calling in a flock of 36 turkeys to my stand not once but TWICE. LOL I managed to call them across a slough and one of the hens actually tried to land on my stand. Turkeys look really big at 20mph in 3D![:-]
So end of day 4.

Wednesday Nov 7th:
We hunted the same area as yesterday AM since the movement was pretty good there and we know there are some good bucks around. I had 2 more 1.5yr old bucks that we didn't see the day before in chip shot bow range but the big bys have been laying low. And its surprising because it was in the 20's this AM and stayed cool all day long.
We hit a new farm (new to me) this evening and it was a heck of a night all around. LOL First we had to confront and run off a guy we thought was tresspassing, but turned out it was a misunderstanding. Darn Florida out of staters with local connections.
Next we were all set to hunt a back hidden field off a picked corn field with scrapes lining the edge when ol' gap toothed Rodney decides this is the perfect afternoon to disc under that entire feild with his gigantic JD 8000 something or other. Luckily he was done in only 2hrs and the night went as planned. Well sort off.
I was forced to climb up and down my tree 3 times because I sometimes have what I like to refer to as a major CF. Stand was at the wrong angle because of taper, then my bow got jammed on a single stupid limb hauling it up and I had to climb back down to free it! So in all I climbed like 800 ft that sit. (and invented a few new curse words in the process.)
We no sooner get settled in and a group of rabbit hunters runs a couple beagles through howling for an hr. just around prime time.
In spite off all that the deer were moving and I couldn't pass up a chip shot at a nice doe after checking to make sure MR. Big wasn't behind her somewhere.

As the title says: Hapiness is a good blood trail and the 2 blade Rage head made short work of this gal. Her initial burst away from the shot took her square into a big oak tree........ever see blood splattered 4-5ft up the side of a big tree?[:-]

Careful where you walk:

Making memories and waiting for that moment when Mr. Big makes an appearance

We still have 3 full days of hunting and the weather looks great so since we have a few does in the freezer it's time to get even more serious. All for now, the alarm comes quickly when it's set for 3:20 AM

Until tomorrow.........and congrats to everyone who has scored in the last few days. We keep meaning to reply to everyone and congratulate them but by the time we get cleaned up and do a post here and there we're pretty fried but we have definitely been seeing all the great animals the guys are putting down!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update)

Looks like a GREAT time guys...Keep at it, it'll happen.

Love the camo, Matt.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics Greg.

Dogs, farmers, out of staters, and deer still movin. Just think what it will be like all peaceful.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job guys. Hopefully you can get on the bucks in these next few days
Old 11-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Bartender

Way to go Greg, Friday will be the day pal for your big bucks due to high pressure moving in and cool temps.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

What..... No pass thru? Rage Broadheads....blah blah blah. Go Muzzy!

Congrats on the table fare.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

nice shot..the rage didnt pass through??
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 AM

Good job guys....good luck the rest of the week!!! Sounds like the 2 of ya are havin a great time.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, she was a pass-through all right... She was standing six steps from Matt's tree, and the angle was top of right shoulder down through the brisket. She travelled less than 50 yards.

Remember, Matt's the author of the "how to take a good picture" thread; we couldn't have a gaping hole right up front and center, now could we?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Site Bouncer

Great job guys.......looks like you're having a great time....I wish I was there with ya! Congrats on a job well done!

Quick Reply: Happiness is a good blood trail! (Day 4-5 update)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.