Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scared of the dark? >

scared of the dark?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scared of the dark?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default scared of the dark?

Tonight I was hunting over two decoys a small buck and a doe,I had tarsel glands from a friends buck and doe urine all around this set up.
At dark got down to clean things up and head home,with my bow on the ground I went to pick up the buck decoy when I heard a strange sound. I look up the lane and see a dark form, from my belt I get my mini mag light,the eyes are green not red so I'm relieved its not a bear. Next comes a deep grunt now from 15 to20 yards,foot stomps and another grunt, I start talking to this deer, I'm yelling yo'in get out here. Another grunt and his coming closer now, I'm getting concerned I tip the decoy over and take a step at the deer yell again and he runs into the corn. Same corn I hide the decoys in.
So I say piss on the decoys I'm outta there.I lay the doe on her side and hear another grut.Now he is thrashing corn stalks and stomping the groundfrom far to close. I grab my bow and start out and so does he gruntin and stomping till I reach the end of the corn and enter the woods now it half a mile of woods to get tothe truck I cover it in under two minutes.

Any one else afraid of the dark?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scared of the dark?

No.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. But your an olympian "half mile in under 2 minutes"[8D]j/k
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Nope but i would be in this case
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not all the time....but last Saturday I was heading into a new stand and ran into (10 yards) a mother and a cub. What scared me is that the mother went to one side of the loggin road and the cub went to the other. I sprinted the last 50 yards to the stand convinced that she was on my butt. I sure felt alive after that.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do most of my hunting by myself sometimes near cemetarys so I don't think I'm scared of the dark. I do however have a "young buck" friend who wont go to the woods by himself. He's also scared to climb over 12 feet high. And he needs his mommy to kiss his "owies" and make them all better. LOL jk bout that last one.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No,but ona good note, it sounds like you've got some rutting bucks in your area.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

certain times i aint gunna lie i have gotten spooked....

like this year, i dont think ive ever been so scared in all my life. pitch black out...cant see anything..no moon..out of nowhere something SCREAMED/barked at me. it was maybe 20yds away tops, right infront of me..wierd thing was that was 10yds AFTER it crossed my trail, and wind was in my face...it did that noise about 5x..it was like a bark/coon squall...deep and raspy, but also shrilling and ear piercing at the same time...ive been in the woods since i could walk and in my years ive NEVER heard anything like that. i really felt that whatever it was was trying to intimidate me...funny thing was i NEVER heard it walk..ever ..and on dry leaves..

lets just say it worked. death gripped the bow and i didnt blink of move for a couple minutes....i was SCARED. then, to top it off, a flying squirrel decided it wanted to climb my tree...not minutes after that critter screamed at me...all i heard was nails hitting the metal of my stand...i almost needed new pants..

the only other time i recall being truely scared in the dark is the night we were walking an old logging road heading to the coonhound that was treed...lights were off, as they often are when we walk down trails we know, and out of nowhere the woods absolutely explode...danged grouse flushed right beside me...i was MAYBE 8...scared the poo outta me...

but im not afraid of the dark, or being in the woods in the dark. coon hunting at night since age 5 or 6 really helps me i think....not trying to be MR tough guy...if your not fimilar with the woods at night and the sounds and critters that are about at night, you can easily be scared of the dark..

i see guys every year that will sit on the tailgate or walk the trail and wait on the trail till the day breaks...a couple of them straight up told me "i dont go in the woods in the dark!" .."ok! send me a biggun in an hour when you decide to walk in!"

still to this day i dont use a flashlight much...have it in my hand...but when walking fields or trails, i dont use it...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try watching the movie.. "Fire in the Sky"..

Then hunt the next morning and get in your stand 2.5 hrs. before sunrise. That gets me everytime..

Freakin' aliens man....
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

uhh.....when there's a love sick deer with icepicks on his head...and he thinks I'm gonna be his mate....yeah, I'm scared of the dark! [X(]

Quick Reply: scared of the dark?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.