Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scared of the dark? >

scared of the dark?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scared of the dark?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Default RE: scared of the dark?

i hate walking in the woods after we split up and go our seperate ways. Last week i saw glowing eyes following me. I was so scared that i kept focusing on the eyes with my headlamp that i tripped over a down tree. Worst part was when i got up the eyes where gone and i hurried to the closest tree and climbed up and didnt see anything the whole day :-(
Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Only in Griz country man, but my trusty .44 mag makes it all better.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wasnt in the woods, but I have seen Bigfoot.

It was the middle of summer vacation at high noon, when no one was home. I was biking down a road, then 150 or so yards ahead of me, this tall, gray, and hairy thing walked across the road. It wasnt a person, because they arent 7 feet tall, and walk across a road in 4 steps. It wasnt a bear, because bears aren't gray. It walked off into the woods, and I never saw it again. I wanted to get some investigators in, but I knew my parents would never believe me, so they wouldn't call them. No one has ever believed me =(
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM

It might have been a fox in heat. One night I was hunting a ladderstand on a field edge and there was about 15 min of light left. All of the sudden from one yard behind my tree a grey fox did this mating call. It sounded like a couger coughing up a hair ball crossed with a man getting kicked in the stones by a mule. I stood up so fast in the ladder stand that my boots came off the platform. He did it about 7 more times from different locations.
ORIGINAL: mauser06

certain times i aint gunna lie i have gotten spooked....

like this year, i dont think ive ever been so scared in all my life. pitch black out...cant see anything..no moon..out of nowhere something SCREAMED/barked at me. it was maybe 20yds away tops, right infront of me..wierd thing was that was 10yds AFTER it crossed my trail, and wind was in my face...it did that noise about 5x..it was like a bark/coon squall...deep and raspy, but also shrilling and ear piercing at the same time...ive been in the woods since i could walk and in my years ive NEVER heard anything like that. i really felt that whatever it was was trying to intimidate me...funny thing was i NEVER heard it walk..ever ..and on dry leaves..

lets just say it worked. death gripped the bow and i didnt blink of move for a couple minutes....i was SCARED. then, to top it off, a flying squirrel decided it wanted to climb my tree...not minutes after that critter screamed at me...all i heard was nails hitting the metal of my stand...i almost needed new pants..

the only other time i recall being truely scared in the dark is the night we were walking an old logging road heading to the coonhound that was treed...lights were off, as they often are when we walk down trails we know, and out of nowhere the woods absolutely explode...danged grouse flushed right beside me...i was MAYBE 8...scared the poo outta me...

but im not afraid of the dark, or being in the woods in the dark. coon hunting at night since age 5 or 6 really helps me i think....not trying to be MR tough guy...if your not fimilar with the woods at night and the sounds and critters that are about at night, you can easily be scared of the dark..

i see guys every year that will sit on the tailgate or walk the trail and wait on the trail till the day breaks...a couple of them straight up told me "i dont go in the woods in the dark!" .."ok! send me a biggun in an hour when you decide to walk in!"

still to this day i dont use a flashlight much...have it in my hand...but when walking fields or trails, i dont use it...