Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Dominant buck....What happens?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Default RE: The Dominant buck....What happens?

Wow, do alot of you guys honestly see the major "home range" areas as defined as what your posts portray? I just don't see these scenarios play out in real life. I don't see territorial battles occuring at all, usually the bucks just seem to be roaming and they hangout wherever they find themselves. For instance, last year I had several 3.5 year old bucks on my property, in the early fall the bucks broke out of their bachelor groups and started doing their own thing. I got pictures of these same bucks on a few different properties in the area, but it was always changing as to which buck was on that property. It wasn't as though these bucks picked out "their" spot and stayed their guarding it, they just seemed to hang out wherever they ended up that day.

As far as what happens after a mature buck is killed...I have killed two bucks that were both aged over 6.5 years old and two bucks that were 3.5 years old. I honestly didn't notice any real differance, I didn't see bucks moving in to that area, time just seemed to go on the same as if the mature bucks were there.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I admittedly know NOTHING about this subject. I just remember a conversation that involved MOTOWN and a couple others that was fascinating. I was "wondering" if maybe subordinate bucks didn't frequent a certain area .....knowing the dominant buck is usually there. I know from what I've witnessed that they high tail it when they see a bigger/more dominantbuck approaching (also limited experiencs with this).

I wondered if they'd maybe switch home ranges if an "opening" developed . I have no idea....[&:]
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Wow, do alot of you guys honestly see the major "home range" areas as defined as what your posts portray? I just don't see these scenarios play out in real life. I don't see territorial battles occuring at all, usually the bucks just seem to be roaming and they hangout wherever they find themselves. For instance, last year I had several 3.5 year old bucks on my property, in the early fall the bucks broke out of their bachelor groups and started doing their own thing. I got pictures of these same bucks on a few different properties in the area, but it was always changing as to which buck was on that property. It wasn't as though these bucks picked out "their" spot and stayed their guarding it, they just seemed to hang out wherever they ended up that day.

As far as what happens after a mature buck is killed...I have killed two bucks that were both aged over 6.5 years old and two bucks that were 3.5 years old. I honestly didn't notice any real differance, I didn't see bucks moving in to that area, time just seemed to go on the same as if the mature bucks were there.
The home range of a normal whitetail is 640 acres (1 sq mi). That is their home range, not their territory, aterritory is a defended piece of land. Bucks do not fight for land but rather for does and who get to breed first. Furthermore, it is also possible for home ranges to overlap one another. Once one of the dominant bucks is removed from the herd it would only make sence that the other bucks will pick up the slack and establish a new order of dominance. Though you may not see more movement you would see different bucks moving with more confidence, and as eairler stated, the dominant buck is not always the biggest. This would mean that it is entirely possible to see 'new' big bucks on your land once the dominant one is killed.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, i agreewith what most have said, you arent going to see a change at all. The rest of the herd is going to go about its business like they do all the time. The only difference is the smaller bucks wont be chased around as often by the "bull".
I would also mention that just cause you arent seeing anything over 1.5 years of age, doesnt mean they arent there. I also wouldnt find it hard to believe that there wasnt a deer or 2 or 3, that were larger and more dominant that the bull on the poperty you hunt. Just look at how many times you hear about people putting out trail cameras only to find a monster that they have never seen before. It sounds like your poperty and the neighboring property has great habitat. There has to be a pope and young or 2 running around.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

nj....that's a stance that indefensible. I can't say there "isn't" another buck ou there....and you can't prove there "is". I have NO DOUBTS there are more and older deer than 1.5 yr olds out there. I saw them last year......too many of them for me to think that they didn't make it through the winter, spring, summer. I still believe wholeheartedly that there's some really nice deer on the property I hunt. I've documented this thought in previous threads. I saw a few good 1.5 yr olds last year that could be dnady's this year....and at least one 2.5 yr old that could be awesome. I also have a 3.5 yr old on trail cam that will outscore anything I've ever taken.

I have some more good deer on the property. I have no doubt of this.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

From my experience a dominant buck will travel miles to breed, but will always return to it's core! Once you take out the dominant buck from an area,any decentbuck that is not the dominant buck in his core area, could move permanently into the area where he has a chance to become the dominant buck!!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 PM

I dont think you will see any difference. Sure each area has its dominate buck, but there is no way that he does all of the breeding for an area. If a doe is in heat and the dominate buck and a 1.5 year old buck are competing, yes the dominate gets her, but when a doe goes into heat, a buck stays with her for 24-48 hours, chasing other bucks away and breeding repeatedly. Welll during this time, other does are going into heat and this is where the less dominant bucks come into play. Figure the peak of the rut is 2 weeks long with majority of does in estrous during this time. Thats 14 days and if the dominant buck is with a doe for 48 hours, he's only breeding 7 does in the 2 week stretch. Unless you have very few deer in the area, that leaves alot of loving for all the other bucks. I think dominance really only comes into play for things liek preferred bedding areas, food sources, and competition for a doe if both bucks are free.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only speak of my experiances, in my area. Mature bucks, if they are 'dominant,' have home territory that is often over a mile in diameter (I have proof of this via trail cams, and other local hunters agree). Then, they have a 'core' area in the fall that is rarely bigger than 100 acres, and often much less. 'Core' areas do not overlap. Home territories often overlap. What I am getting at is it is not as simple as each 'dominant' buck dividing up the land as if they were people. Summer ranges and fall/winter ranges are often not the same. If you kill a 'dominant' buck out of his 'core area' then you probably will not have much luck there for 'dominant' bucks for at least a season. If you caught him in his 'home territory' then well, next week another 'dominant' buck might walk by.

I do not think dominant bucks just pick up and move to another area if they sense that their rival that they sometimes scentat one side of the rangeis gone, or nonexistant.

I also agree with the fact that while there are 'dominant' bucks, there is no hiarachy like wolves. The deer population(locally) is too high to allow that when you think about it. Deer are always comming into contact with new deer...
Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Not really concerned that another dominant buck might transplant to the area.....as much as I am how the "new" dominant buck comes into being such. Is he there, already? Will a traveler move in?

It would "seem" that this would make for a VERY interesting rut.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM

IMO opinion I dont think much will changeduring the rut. Deer will be tending, deer will be scrogging.[8D]

Quick Reply: The Dominant buck....What happens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.