Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter >

One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter

Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter

This afternoon I was off work and decided to head to the stand for alittle while. I was later than what I wanted to be getting into the stand but I figured I'd give it a shot. I was settled in and ready to go about 4:45. Sitting on a fencerow, under a few oaks on the edge of a hay field. They LOVE to feed on the oaks. It's the first time I had hunted this stand personally, it's usually occupied by one of my fellow hunters. It's responsiblefor a few of the deer we have killed out there this year. It was really windy and the air was pretty cool. I sat there until about 5:30, and then the wind died down. I decided I was going to try todo a little calling. I had placed a couple Scent Bombs near my stand, withthe closest one on a barb in the barb wire fence I was sitting over. I pull out the true talker and the can. I would flipthe can a few times, then give some grunts, i did this about 3 times within about 5-10mins.I start to sit down and I look across the field and a see a deer that appeared out of no where comming right at me,almostasif it was on a string. About 200yds away I could tell it had a rack.I lifted my binoculars and my jaw dropped as I set my eyes on him. I raised my bow and got ready.He's still trotting at me, head on.He gets to 40 yds and slows up. Now he's just walking.30yds, 25yds, at this point I'm saying to myself, turn, turn, please turn. HeKEEPS comming andnever turns. He's at 10yds, almost directly under me and he gives me somewhat of a shot,severe quartering to. I at thispoint was at fulldraw, I just coouldn't take that shot. I slowly ease down. He walks right up to the fence andshoves his nose RIGHT into that scent bomb and knocks it off onto my side. He starts trying to get his rack through the fence toget to the scent. At this pointI'm looking at him through the slats in my climber. After about2-3 mins of this he decides he's hadenough.He turns around, walks off in a different direction, still offering no suitable shot. He was once at about 22 yds and if I would have taken the shot I would have been shooting right behind the hip for it to exit decent. I had to let down again,I just had to smile as he walked away. There was nothing I could have done, I tried grunting, giving him some "maaahs" as he waswalking away. Nothing, he just would turn his head.It was definately a good experience, I was shaking like a leaf. This was by far the biggest deer I've seenon stand,in the woods, or just alive period. AS he walkedback across the field I studied him through the binoculars. He was aclean, solid 10pt. His G2's couldn't have been less than 11inches. I would have guesstimated him atleast mid 130's.

He was just...simply amazing.I came to full draw 4 times througout the whole deal only to decide they weren't the right shots totake. The 10 yard quartering to, I thought I could make but I really didn't want to take a chance at wounding such a magnificent deer.

I feel thatI made the "ethical" decisions, and decisions that showed me thatIam starting to mature as a hunter.

Just thought I would share a goodexperience with you guys.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter

good for you man, hope you get him...or even a bigger one
Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

or even a bigger one
That's more than likely NOT going to happen.

Ask Jeff, (GMMAT) Just how good a 130" is for "our" area.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent story and post. You should be very proud of yourself...what a great hunt
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have the heart of a true sportsman
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Good man. Keep after him, you'll get another shot at him and it will even be more rewarding next time. Good luck, go get him.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its called karma my friend, you made the right decision and im sure you will get another chance!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: saltflyz

Excellent story and post. You should be very proud of yourself...what a great hunt
Great story, nice job man You will be regarded!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to stay pure with ethical shots. Now that everyone has been on the 2 blade RAGE tip they think they can just shot them any where because it causes so much damage.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Host of Hosts

You have the heart of a true sportsman
Here! Here! You sure do! It is rare for someone your age to express themselves in such a way. Your post made my day. Very Good Decisions you made.

Quick Reply: One of the hardest decisions I've made as a hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.