HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/216047-dogs.html)

standsleeper 11-05-2007 01:13 PM

Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/align]
[blockquote]I was in the stand yesterday. About an hour before sundown; a pack of coon dogs ran through on the tail of a couple does. Two minutes later; two more dogs ran through after them. [6 or 7 dogs total] This is the second time I have seen these dogs on this property. I have no chance of finding the owner. If I were mean enough; I would put a hole in one and hang it on the fence corner. I hear there are people getting in trouble for that right now. I guess I am trumped. I supose I could just keep catching them and handing them over to the humain society. Maybe that would be the way to go. Any thoughts? I guess I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for listening.

[/align][/blockquote]

swamp rooster 11-05-2007 01:38 PM

RE: Dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you look back to last weeks post i think it was called dogs in the deer woods,you can read some of our thoughts on dogs,some good some not so good,but some of us understand what your going through.

cynikalHC 11-05-2007 02:21 PM

If its your land I would say stick em. If not then trapping seems like your only other option.

BigTiny 11-05-2007 02:34 PM

If they are chasing deer then they aren't coon dogs anymore are they? First, if it is legal to deer hunt with dogs where you are right now, then game and fish won't be much help. If not, give them a call. Also try your local animal control with the county, sometimes they will loan live traps to landowners with your problem. Humane Society and ASPCA are not going to be much help, especially once they find out you are a hunter. Also, since those organizations have no authority to seize property(dogs), you might run into legal problems, so check your state and local laws first before doing anything. Good luck!

Prairie Wolf 11-05-2007 03:10 PM

Recently, it was my own dog giving me fits. I hunt about 100 yards from the house and she cried and howled because I left her home. She thought I was pheasant hunting I suppose. I could hear deer moving around but they never showed. I don't know if the dog played a part or not. I was wishing I had a shock collar to shut her up.

Beezer 11-05-2007 04:12 PM

I have the same problem sometimes. I've taken to toting the shotgun out on days that I know the dog hunters with be setting them loose. They can't shoot within 300 yds of my house and can't shoot onto property they don't own, so that pretty much means that they can't shoot anything the dogs chase out on my road. If they chase another deer by my stand or onto the property I hunt, I'm going to shoot it and take it home. If crosses the road, it's mine, no questions asked. So, if they choose to waste their ammunition and time they can. If they argue, they can argue with the game warden and county police. The law is on my side and they know it, so if they choose to ignore the law it can become their problem.

Deleted User 11-05-2007 04:48 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

MIHunter77 11-05-2007 04:55 PM

I think you could find the owner pretty easily. If they are ruining your hunt, walk out of the woods and take a drive. Or have a friend/family take a drive. Figure they've already scared what would be coming through, so your done right? Look for a truck with a topper on it, or a small trailer about the size of pop up thats used for hauling dogs. Or if you want to, look online for pictures of what one would look like so you know what your looking for. Its not hard to determine what kind of vehicle is hauling dogs. If they are hounds they are going to need something good sized to haul a number of dogs with so try it.

They are not that hard to find. Most folks stopwhere they can, and unload the dogs to hunt. They also are not going to just stop anywhere because it can be difficult to find your vehicle with tired dogs in the middle of the night after a hard run after ringtails. Find the vehicle, find the hunters. Leave them a note, or wait them out and talk to them. See who your dealing with before you go and start dropping coon dogs.

As passionate as you obviously are about your hunting, these hunters are about theirs. You start dropping dogs and you have to deal with the reprocussions of your actions. Law may be on your side but you dont want to make enemies right or wrong.