HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   advice on a climbing stand. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/215986-advice-climbing-stand.html)

MarkfromNWMO 11-05-2007 07:51 AM

advice on a climbing stand.

Its about time I buy a new climber, mine is on its last leg and I don't feel overly safe in it anymore.
What do you all recomend? My old one is a Summit and has been good, but all worn out and rickity now.
My buddy has a tree lunger, but looks awful awkward....

What do you all recomend for a large, sturdy comfortable bow hunting stand?
Thanks fellas.

mohunter82 11-05-2007 07:54 AM

RE: advice on a climbing stand.

the best thing is to go and look at assembled units. what may be comfortable for me may not be for you. My main thing is ease of use. I dont want to be fumbling around in the woods trying to hook one on a tree and end up scaring everything in 3 counties away.

MarkfromNWMO 11-05-2007 08:03 AM

I agree, I am looking for quiet, and easy to use. I am a normal size guy.... just wanting to hear what people have and what they really like.

BuckAlley 11-05-2007 08:05 AM

Personally I too own a summit-viper. I used it least 7-8 yrs now. I absolutely love it. If I bought another I would stick with a summitt. I know they did change the foot holds to a plastic deal. Friend of mine bought one last yr.. He didn't like the foot hold design, but make a simple adjustment by sawing off a couple inches on the plastic foot holders. Now he too likes it alot.

solobowhunter 11-05-2007 08:07 AM

Summit Viper for me. Have been using it for years. When its time to replace, Ill probably buy another one;)

mohunter82 11-05-2007 08:11 AM

i have a gorilla and the summit viper. To put it simple i never use my gorilla. The viper has been the easiest to use and very quiet

MarkfromNWMO 11-05-2007 08:12 AM

Anyone use the Summit Goliath? Looks like a pretty bug solid stand....

MarkfromNWMO 11-05-2007 08:16 AM

I have a gorilla permanent platform type stand but dont really have much the nerve to mount it... they kinda scare me. haha.

mohunter82 11-05-2007 08:25 AM

if you say what my grandfather taught me to hunt out of then you would have been scared ha ha. a very redneck type of a hang on stand with no seat and only a 16" platform made out of wood. but i also took my biggest buck out of on of these. so maybe i just need to quit whining.

Sooner State Hunter 11-05-2007 08:31 AM

I've also been looking at a new climber. My buddy just bought a Summit Razor, looks alot like the viper but has a fold-out-of-the-way rail. Can't decide between it, the Viper or .Ameristep's Hitman. Has anyone used the Hitman, it's cheaper andseems ok, but it's fairly new and I can't find much info on it.