HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Finally, a good B-Day present (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/215618-finally-good-b-day-present.html)

mattsasso 11-02-2007 07:06 PM

Finally, a good B-Day present

Well, I turn 40 tomorrow and got the best present I could ask for. I turned and brought this guy in with the grunt call and punched him dead center at 20 yds or so. I heard him crash and for once I finally got a good blood trail.
I have been archery hunting for over ten years in an on again, off again fashion. It wasn't until I finally found a good mentor 2 years ago, that I started connecting with deer. I thought he was a 4 pt when i shot so I was delighted to see he was actually an 8.
Not the biggest deer, but he represents a lot of mistakes and hard learning to make this happen. I love bow hunting!

standsleeper 11-02-2007 07:07 PM

RE: Finally, a good B-Day present

[/align]Good job. Congrats.

kingvjack 11-02-2007 07:08 PM

Good deer.. looks like you blew a decent hole in him as well!!!!

Sliverflicker 11-02-2007 07:11 PM

Nice Buck, Congrats!

Deleted User 11-02-2007 07:12 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bawanajim 11-02-2007 07:13 PM

Great job ,and happy birthday.

wisbowhunter2009 11-02-2007 07:31 PM

congrats man! good deer

mattsasso 11-02-2007 09:20 PM

I am using the aftershock archery hypershock 100gr mechanical. It opens to a 2 blade 2 inch scimitar. I like two blade mechanicals but the spray from the initial hit on the exit wound on this broadhead was like something out of braveheart. The exit hole was about 3 1/2 inches wide.
The aftershocks use a very simple opening technique and I love the way they fly and devistate. This is my second deer with them. The only down side is that they are not very durable once they punch hard cround or roots. I found this out with the last set when I got bored and shot some woodchucks from my stand.
Still they are worth every penny. And don't get me wrong. I am new to being a succesful deer hunter but I am one heck of a good shot and an accomplished marksman and I like to rely on the simplest of tools. These broadheads act the same way at 45yds as they do at 20yds.

solocamcan 11-02-2007 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: mattsasso

Not the biggest deer, but he represents a lot of mistakes and hard learning to make this happen. I love bow hunting!

That's a cool way to think of it. CONGRATS!

westcyderydin 11-02-2007 11:36 PM

congradulations...nice deer!