Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do deer avoid treestands left in the woods? >

Do deer avoid treestands left in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do deer avoid treestands left in the woods?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do deer avoid treestands left in the woods?

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Hope not I'll leave mine in the woods tonight and return in the AM. Might leave the bow up on the hook too??
brave man to leave the bow on the hook too...........................
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Color me crazy, but I believe a MATURE deer will alter his/her travel patterns to avoid treestands, trail cameras, and other items where he/she has had run-ins on multiple occassions with humans or human scent. Not every single mature deer, but a good amount of them.

These older deer are far from stupid, and they know from their travels in their home ranges where people are, and where people aren't. Those spots include treestands that we walk to and from on an annual basis. Always remember that it doesn't matter if you don't see or spook any deer from your stand while you're there, they are walking all over the place at night, investigating what is going on. It doesn't take long for them to learn.

Like I said, it won't effect all deer, but I personally believe it will effect mature bucks and their NORMAL travel patterns. Not when they're lovestruck and dogging a doe, or looking for a fight with a smaller buck. In those cases, as we all know, their normal weary behavior is thrown right out the door - which allows us the opportunity to harvest more of them during this time.

With that said, I'm off to the taxidermist. Enjoy your weekend gents, and I wish you all good luck!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Cant say I would ever leave my bow out in the woods. I would think that much dampness cant be good for the bearings, strings and cables.
I put my ladderstands up about a month before season and takethem down after season, only so they dont rust out and the straps dont get week. The deer dont seem to care about them. Once and a while I will get one that will look up but not to often but I think its more that they heard orwinded me.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

I think they do if they see you are smell your sent. I had a 150 incher see me once in my stand and I never see hin agian from that stand , so I moved over the hill from it and guse what he showed up at it the first night I sat there and I got him, he had been going around me. That one of the reasons I use a climber stand and move around a lot and I can take most of my sent out with me.

Put them down
Old 11-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

absolutely not they get use to it being there and not a threat. i have one in my back yard that doesn't scare them away . take a look at a pic of it . it doesn't bother him

Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM

to them, it's just part of the tree, some guy's put dummies in them through the summer.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

No. Matter of fact I left my climber in the woods on Tuesday and went back to get it on Friday. Rubs not 5 ft behind it.

If it don't smell and ain't threating why would it change their pattern?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have two Ladder Stands I leave up year round,so yes the are use to them.I have used Stands over Feeders that have been there too long and have had Deer and Hogs look up at the Stand before coming to the Feeder.

big rockpile
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

Color me crazy, but I believe a MATURE deer will alter his/her travel patterns to avoid treestands, trail cameras, and other items where he/she has had run-ins on multiple occassions with humans or human scent. Not every single mature deer, but a good amount of them.

These older deer are far from stupid, and they know from their travels in their home ranges where people are, and where people aren't. Those spots include treestands that we walk to and from on an annual basis. Always remember that it doesn't matter if you don't see or spook any deer from your stand while you're there, they are walking all over the place at night, investigating what is going on. It doesn't take long for them to learn.

Like I said, it won't effect all deer, but I personally believe it will effect mature bucks and their NORMAL travel patterns. Not when they're lovestruck and dogging a doe, or looking for a fight with a smaller buck. In those cases, as we all know, their normal weary behavior is thrown right out the door - which allows us the opportunity to harvest more of them during this time.

With that said, I'm off to the taxidermist. Enjoy your weekend gents, and I wish you all good luck!
I get what your saying, but I was assuming if you leave a stand up, say year round, that you don't exclusivly hunt it day in and day out. If so the scent/disturbance you leave and cause will make them avoid that stand.

I have a box blind that had been in place for 7 years and I was able to take a 5 1/2 year old buck out of it in 2005. It's now been there 9 years and I'm still seeing mature bucks from it. BUT, I don't hunt it day in and day out.

Now if you leave a climber hanging on a tree one day and a deer sees it and knows it wasn't there the day before, I'm sure they'll investigate it and be wary of it. But it's not threating and if you didn't leave any scent on it, I believe they'll go on and ignore it.

Quick Reply: Do deer avoid treestands left in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.