Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Second Buck Down! >

My Second Buck Down!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Second Buck Down!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default My Second Buck Down!

Thursday morning, sneak into my area and up in my tree, check my watch 6:30 still dark, going to be a great day, calm no wind… I can smell the deer in the area. At about 7:05 I see a small doe stand up about 30 yards to my right. She appears to be alone, but keeps looking off away from me. 5 minutes go by and I see a large deer approaching in the direction she was looking, and he has a rack. He is coming right to her with his head low like a hound dog, nose to the ground. He runs right up to her and she quickly takes 2 or 3 hops to get distance between herself and him… he chases her… round they go like this for a couple of tries and then I guess he understands that she is not ready. So she is wandering off and he stops giving chase, but he does grunt a couple times… so I figure I would grunt back and see if he would present a shot. At this time he was about 40 yards out, and no shot there with too many limbs and such between him and I. I wanted him closer to get a better look at his rack anyway… remember it was still not too light… just that cool dim light from the sun rising in the distance… when everything has that gray cast to it. So anyway, I grunt a few times… and I see him look around and begin to walk closer to me. He is still eating acorns and not really coming in to the grunt… just kind of wandering… I am looking at his right side, and thinking he may be a 10 pointer I can clearly make out 4 points to the right side… and if there is a brow tine… that would make 5 to that one side. Anyway… he has a big body and what appears to be a heavy rack… so I decide to take him if the shot presents itself. After a few more minutes of him eating acorns, he steps into a clear lane at a quartering away shot… and I level my 25 yard pin on him, and let it fly…SMACK! There it is… that mule kick that I love to see… and off he runs. He went 40 yards and I hear him crash to the ground. He is just out of my sight, but very easy to find with a heavy blood trail and not too far to go. Now here is the strange thing… I take him to be a very old buck… his brow times are not at the usual place, they are up the main beam a ways, so the 10 I thought he might be was not true… he had 4 to each side with 1 point broken off at about an inch… but get this, he had only 4 teeth in his mouth… 4 little bottom teeth in the front… and absolutely no other teeth left in his mouth… nothing but gums… flat pink gums. Very strange! Any of you ever seen a almost toothless deer before? I am putting some pics up, but the site only lets me put one at a time.
scroll down for more pics.
DW

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Second Buck Down!

Nice looking Deer...CONGRATS!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Here is onother look
DW

Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Here are a couple more pics
DW
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad that left g-2 is busted but none the less

AN AWESOME DEER!!!!

CONGRATS MAN!!!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for looking
DW

Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM

good deer and great shot!! congrats!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Last pic
DW

Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats! very nice buck
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM

That's a gooood buck.
You're having a pretty good season NJ/PA.
Congrats Again.

Quick Reply: My Second Buck Down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.