HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Made the switch tonight finally... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/214823-made-switch-tonight-finally.html)

Scott/IL 10-29-2007 04:31 PM

Made the switch tonight finally...

After much debate about to switch to Rage heads from my Montecs, I finally made my mind up.

I was standing around at a local shop when I saw 2 packs of Rage 2 blades. $36 later, I was on my way home to try them out.

Went out and the practice head shot great. Can't wait to try them out on a deer. The Montec was a great durable head, they were however dull out of the package, and made a slight noise in flight. Also the 2 inch cutting diameter should be a big advantage. The only concern I have is if the Rage comes in contact with some kind of bone.

Rory/MO 10-29-2007 04:49 PM

RE: Made the switch tonight finally...

i have 3 blades
i love them
have you ever seen waht they do to deer
i have some friends that have killed bruiser bodied deer and they leave a HUGE hole

358WINMAN 10-29-2007 04:59 PM

IBH...

Best ofluck with your switch. I truly hope it works out for you. Be aware that the Rage heads have alot of failures being logged on the internet and discussed in many chat forums. I personally don't think they're cut out to be what the company had marketed them to be. No commercial or show ever talks about the excellent penetration or pass throughs!!! Only super entry holes! IMO, the Montecs are a much better head and require an extra sharpening step to make them super sharp. I've used the 85 and 100 grain G5's with total success and although they do make an occassional noise in flight( some, not all), they kill with authority! Total pass throughs, havoc on ribs and shoulder blades and good blood trails.
I realize you have to see for yourself and wish you success. I only hope you don't lose a great buck to a failed Rage!!!
Good luck.

spikevilleUSA 10-29-2007 05:02 PM

I made the switch to although I had not killed a deer yet. The next day I killed one with the rage. A bad shot but it cut a big hole and didnt run far at all.

Scott/IL 10-29-2007 05:25 PM

WINMAN

I have killed deer with my Montecs, and am not knocking them at all. A gret head no doubt. The deer I did kill though, left no to minimal blood trails. They were with out a doubt the strongest and toughest head I ever shot. I still have them laying in my basement ready to throw back on in a seconds time.

I worry about some things with the Rage too. In cold weather, are these things going to freeze up? If they hit the shoulder blade, what happens? They say theres no lose of kinetic energy, but I'll see. Hopefully I'llbe back here Wednesday telling you how well they worked onthe buck hanging in the tree outside:)

358WINMAN 10-29-2007 05:33 PM

IBH...

I hope you have the best successes with them. My main broadheads are the Slick Tricks. I have been shooting them for two years now and love them more then any other head I've ever shot. The Montecs are my secondary heads now.
Guys at my friends archery pro shop have been telling one horror story after another about theirRage failures. These guys have been unintentially feeding the coyotes with lost deer from failed Rage heads. Some realnice shooter bucks too! Seems like unless your bow is cranked up with poundage, they don't penetrate well.
I wish you the best and hope you put a real bruiser on the wall with 'em!

PABuck_HNTR 10-29-2007 05:39 PM

I feel like alot of people fell for the HUGE advertising campaign by the manufacturer. I do beleive that some have had success with them and they probably make some devastating holes in deer when the conditions are just right. But the negatives I've seen by far outweigh the positives. I will stick with the spitfires until the jury is really in on these Rage heads.

Hunter Dan7 10-29-2007 05:44 PM

So u really like the rage broadheads. I shoot the crimison talons xt. they are the ones with the curved blades. and you have a switch back. How is that. i got the outback

muzzyshooter 10-29-2007 05:49 PM

With all the "rage" about the Rage... i waited to hear a few reports from guys i personaly know using them. I guy i know of who is puling 55lbs shooting rage heads and has lost three bucks so far. Don't worry, i have scolded him plenty. he hasn't has a pass through yet. By teh way, he is one hell of a hunter and has killed MANY deer. Also a local pro shop owner. Thought i would throw this in the mix.

I also know a disabled hunter that has them on his crossbow and has had DEVISTATEING results. The hole is HUGE!!! His crossbow is set at 70lbs.

Good luck.

358WINMAN 10-29-2007 06:12 PM

Like I said in my post. You need a cranked up bow to shoot the Rages. More guys are cryin' about lost bucks here in NJ because their new fangled gimmick Rages failed!!!
A fixed blade or replaceable blade head blows a rage away. My top three:
1- Slick Trick
2- G5 Montec
3- Muzzy M-X 3