Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cover sent that works? >

cover sent that works?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cover sent that works?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 AM

Default RE: cover sent that works?

I have been hunting with a long bow for about 3 yrs now. I have always showered with Fels-Naptha and last year started spraying my self down with Evade Scent Elimination. This combow has worked great so far. I have no problem getting with in 10 yrds of a deer.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

I do the usual descent routine prior to leaving the house (shower in scent-a-way, change into clothes held in air-tite tub). Once I get to my parking spot.. I spray down with Scent-A-Way to include any exposed skin and I make sure to do my boots really well. Now I did this last night and had a young buck cross and walk on part of my trail in. He got to within 5 yards of my stand with a slight breeze circling and didn't spook once. There was no sign of catching scent nor did he alert as he continued to browse on acorns for the next 20 minutes.

So with that, I've always used the Scent-A-Way products with great results. The only time I have had deer spook is usually when I make a stupid move and they pick me off. Although I will say, with that buck 5 yards from my tree last night, my predator camo helped out a lot.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HammytheHunter

I do the usual descent routine prior to leaving the house (shower in scent-a-way, change into clothes held in air-tite tub). Once I get to my parking spot.. I spray down with Scent-A-Way to include any exposed skin and I make sure to do my boots really well. Now I did this last night and had a young buck cross and walk on part of my trail in. He got to within 5 yards of my stand with a slight breeze circling and didn't spook once. There was no sign of catching scent nor did he alert as he continued to browse on acorns for the next 20 minutes.

So with that, I've always used the Scent-A-Way products with great results. The only time I have had deer spook is usually when I make a stupid move and they pick me off. Although I will say, with that buck 5 yards from my tree last night, my predator camo helped out a lot.
Don't forget that the scent doesn't go straight down. It might not reach the deer until it's 30 yds from your tree. If the deer enters from upwind and walks right bi your tree on the downwind side there might not be any scemt there for him to smell. The scent might not be hitting the ground until 20-30yds away depending on atmospheric conditions.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

My point is, cover-up only means there are now 2 scents. So instead of thinking "there's a guy over there", the deer's thinking "hold on, there's a guy over there with a (trained to kill) pet racoon that he intends to unleash on me. Hmmm... better turn around."
LOL!!!! I gotta get me one of those coons.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer only know what they have come across. Strange smells will make them curious. So here in Wi. If you dont smell like Booze- beer - and cigaretts you will have them stumped.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

The best stuff I ever used, in my opinion, was some squirrel scent I get at the eastern sports and outdoor show a while back. it seems like I never got snorted at that year. It only made sense to me when I bought it. Where I hunted at the time I probably had 6 squirrels per square foot.[8D] I forget where the guy was from but I never ran into him again and the bottle is long gone. From whatI remeber it was a small blue glass pump stylespray bottle with a pretty generic label.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I descent me with HS bodywash, and a baking soda/peroxide spray for the clothes, my favorite cover scent is Deer Dander. I sometimes add Fresh Earth or Acorn discs. IMO "descenting" is probably wishful thinking when a deer's nose is involved, but at least I may smell farther away and less threatening.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 AM

i want a trained to kill a der coon that would b nice lol i use that coon piss on my boots and bottoms of my pants legs and use scent lock
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

I use and feel confident that both Dead Downwind and Hunters Specialties scent eliminating spray work to reduce and eliminate scent. I have recently made my own, from a recipe on this sight and from spraying it in my old Ford F250, whos previous two owners were big smokers, it does work.
I also spray a little "deer dander" on my boots right before walking to stand and I believe from experience that it can peek the interest of deer as well.
Golden Esterous seems promising to me as well. I hung a swab off my climber on saturday morning during set-up and right as I sat to wait until shooting light, I had a buck walk right by my stand at about 8 yards and did not see to know I was around but interested. [&o] Too bad I did not have ligth too shoot as by the quick glances I was getting by moonlight, he was likely the big 8 pointer ruling the roost. [&o]
Would you mind sending me this recipe? I would appreciate it. Thanks man, and good luck out there.