HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Customers Broadheads wont fly for crap (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/214368-customers-broadheads-wont-fly-crap.html)

PABuck_HNTR 10-27-2007 04:34 AM

Customers Broadheads wont fly for crap

I was at the pro-shop yesterday and the owner has been working on a bow for a guy that won't shoot his Muzzy's. Anyway We paper tuned the bow for bullet holes with field points. Then the owner and I shot the muzzy's at 20 yards and he was shooting pretty good. So the customer comes in and goes out back and shoots 4 arrows with field tips in a 2 inch circle at 20 yards and then the same at 30 yards. So it's time for broadhaeds. He draws back at 20 yards and misses off the edge of the target. OK shooter error. He tries again. Hits way low and right. Shoots again...2 inches high. After shooting about 10 times and hitting all over the target. We decide to try another broad head ( Fuse Mechanical) hit dead center just above rdot. Alright we thought that did it. NOPE next 3 shots all over the place. We proceeded for another hour trying various broadheads and the owner of the shop shooting thebow as well. He shot it much better than did the customer, but it was still not consistent. By the way we tried various arrows as well.

Question is coulda whisker bisquithave an bigger effect on the customers shooting form than did his prong rest and cause thatmuch of a change in his arrow flight? I shot his arrows andthey flew great out of my Guardian. The shop owner and myself were watching him shoot, but didn't notice any real bad shooting flaws, but its sometimes hard to tell if someone is torqeuing the bow, but then again why is shooting well with field tips and not broadheads.? I just don't get it. Could the bow have a flap spot in the bearings or bushings that we couldn't feel? I don't know. That's why I'm asking some real pros.....:D

nodog 10-27-2007 05:27 AM

RE: Customers Broadheads wont fly for crap

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

Question is coulda whisker bisquithave an bigger effect on the customers shooting form than did his prong rest and cause thatmuch of a change in his arrow flight? I shot his arrows andthey flew great out of my Guardian. :D
From everything I've read I'd say no. Did the "pro" and the customer shoot your bow too?

Arthur P 10-27-2007 06:04 AM

There is no single rest that works great for everybody, and that includes the whisker bisquit. I would've put the guy's prong rest back on, just to see what'd happen. If he shot better with it, that would answer the question.

mauser06 10-27-2007 06:17 AM

sounds to me like torque, which im guessing you are meaning. i know from time to time i will shoot BHs when hunting season isnt even in sight just to check my form. i know when i get sloppy because it will show...

id do like Arthur suggested..throw on his prong rest..

see if/where he is torqueing or what he is doing differently from shot to shot...betcha theres something minor....

Predator19 10-27-2007 08:11 AM

Normally even a poorly tuned bow can group the broadheads pretty close, just not where you want them. I agree with Mauser and i think the guy is torqing the bow and or punching the release.

HNI Jim 10-27-2007 08:12 AM

mabey is nervous about shooting in front of other people. Did you see him shoot FP?

BGfisher 10-27-2007 08:20 AM

Barring real form breakdowns I'd have to agree that it might be torque. Although containment rests might be OK for hunting you do have to consider that the arrow is in contact with the rest till it leaves the bow. This makes following through much more imperative. It doesn't take but 1/8" of movement at the bow to equal a foot or more at 20 yards.

Conversely, a drop-away, shoot through, or shoot around rest can be more forgiving in these respects as whenshot the arrow usually has very little contact with the rest.

Something else you touched upon was trying different arrows. Did you try different SPINED arrows? Did you try changing the draw weight of the bow? Few people like to drop the weight of the bow (testosterone?), but this can be a very useful tool in tuning. Probably the least used, but the easiest to do, and the cheapest.

I don't take too much stock in paper tuning. It's very rudimentary to say the least. As you are seeing paper tuning shows you how the arrow is leaving the bow (at a couple feet), but doesn't show squat about what the arrow is doing down range. Sad to say, but I've never had the opportunity to shoot a deer four feet from me.

HNI Jim 10-27-2007 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Barring real form breakdowns I'd have to agree that it might be torque. Although containment rests might be OK for hunting you do have to consider that the arrow is in contact with the rest till it leaves the bow. This makes following through much more imperative. It doesn't take but 1/8" of movement at the bow to equal a foot or more at 20 yards.

Conversely, a drop-away, shoot through, or shoot around rest can be more forgiving in these respects as whenshot the arrow usually has very little contact with the rest.

Something else you touched upon was trying different arrows. Did you try different SPINED arrows? Did you try changing the draw weight of the bow? Few people like to drop the weight of the bow (testosterone?), but this can be a very useful tool in tuning. Probably the least used, but the easiest to do, and the cheapest.

I don't take too much stock in paper tuning. It's very rudimentary to say the least. As you are seeing paper tuning shows you how the arrow is leaving the bow (at a couple feet), but doesn't show squat about what the arrow is doing down range. Sad to say, but I've never had the opportunity to shoot a deer four feet from me.
I agree with you about paper tuning. Thats what the fletching are for right.

Mathewsboy 10-27-2007 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

Question is coulda whisker bisquithave an bigger effect on the customers shooting form than did his prong rest and cause thatmuch of a change in his arrow flight?

From what I"VE BEEN TOLD, YES!!!! It will bring out any TORQUE issues you are having.. Think about it, its enclosed in a little round circle, bend it left or right and its not gonna go through it straight.. PUT A DROP AWAY on it, I BET THAT Takes care of the ISSUES!!

Rhody Hunter 10-27-2007 09:30 AM

i'm thinking he might have to long a draw length or is over bowed in the poundage, that with a new rest and being nervious shooting in front of everyone he is torqueing the bow.