Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Illinois Giant !!!! >

Illinois Giant !!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Illinois Giant !!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Illinois Giant !!!!

You can't tease us, where's the pictures?

Old 10-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first thought was, "that's so huge, it doesn't look real!" It's shockingly huge. What an awesome buck.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:07 AM
Host of Hosts

Like Rob always says, The bigger the buck the worse the pics
You got that right... I would probably spend 200 dollars on film developing, beside the memory cards I'd fill up and the mini dv tapes I'd use. Why on God's green earth would someone with a buck like that take and post this crappy pic? Maybe just too excited to realize it. Besides I would guess he'll be staring at his wall at it from now on.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Why on God's green earth would someone with a buck like that take and post this crappy pic?
My guess is the guy didnt post this picture. He probably has some real good pictures and didnt put them out yet. This picture was probably from some friend, or a friend of a friend that stopped by and took it and couldnt wait to get it out to all you to drool over................
Old 10-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

That is one helluva a deer...congrats to the hunter! If in fact it did score 206" net that would make it a new archery world record.

However, I cannot honestly see it scoring 206" NET because to me it looks as if the right G3 & G4 are common base. Anybody remember the Wayne Zaft buck? Would have been an archery world record but had common base tines and this deer shows (to me) more common base between those two tines than the Zaft deer did. Anyways, I'm not knocking this guy's accomplishment at all...please don't take it that way...just trying to put the score into perspective.

This iswhat I thought when i first saw this buck, but after doing some research, i believe this buck will not suffer the same fate. If you look at pictures of the Zaft buck, you will see that there is webbing both beneath and above (between)the point in question and the one next to it, where on this buck there is only webbing above (between) the point in question and the one next to it. Because of this, i think Pope and Young decided the "offending" point was actually growing out of the other and not growing besideit (sharing a common base)on the Zaft buck. How many of you remember the Curt Van Lith buck from Minnesota from 10 or 12 years ago? It has much more webbing between tines than this buck, and Pope and Young accepted it. Only time will tell if this deer will end up being a new Pope and Young World Record Typical. If anyone wants to see for themselves, just google Wayne Zaft buck and Curt Van Lith buck.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM

nice buck

Old 10-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Damn what a deer
Old 10-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Typical Buck

Kid...I hate to say it but think I'm wrong in my previous post. Talked to a good friend of mine from So. IL earlier tonight about this deer (me and him know deer like none other)...but after our convo. and your post, and some further research...this could be a contender for the IL/World Record Typ. by archery. Examining the photos more closely, the rt. G4 does show great characteristics that it is in fact coming from the main beam and not a common base, which should not be a deduction inscore. Hate to see Mel's record be broken b/c of the nostaglia/story and beauty of that deer, but nonetheless it's from IL...Right? Hopefully the story is as great and nostalgic as the Mel Johnson Buck! I guess we'll see soon enough! Once again, congrats to the IL hunter!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM

According to other sources, it green scored 198 net. One heck of a buck for sure!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

MK M GOBLis correct. This buck was officially green scored at 198 net, not 206. He is indeed a incredible buck and will easily beone of THE most impressive typicals in the State/World!

Quick Reply: Illinois Giant !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.