Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Some people

Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Some people

What kinda nerves it takes to hunt someone elses stand i hunt iowa and the muzzleloader season started and i thought i would let my stand rest for a few days. Last night i went hunting and come to find out someone has been hunting my stand for the gun season i was mad . later on they came down there again but to get a deer bout a 150 class buck they prolly had permission to hunt there but they used my stand and mite have poached it to. they didnt see me when they came in but they did on the way out with the deer. they tried to tell me the stand was abandonned i said the hell you did it was just in a good spot i yelled at them for a min and started down to get there name and they took off on a 4wheeler the stand i put up bout 3 weeks ago and is pretty new so i new they where lying [:@]i am mad but thats the only spot i have what should i do?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Some people

fortunatly rut is still around the corner, and youve still got a good chance at calling in a "passing through" buck. if the guy had permission to be on the land, all you can do is call him a jerk.

if you really dont think the stand will produce anymore - move it asap
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM

If it's on private land, sounded like it was - talk to the landowner who you got permission from. Tell him what you saw and what you suspect happened. Try to get something worked out. If it's on public I don't know if there is much you can do, I'm not familiar with Iowa hunting regs. Maybe give your local warden a call and see what he says regardless...?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate it too.... but it's the nature of the sport. You leave things out, people will hunt from them. I use a climber most of the time for just that reason. And stands I put up in places where they MAY be found, I usually use a climbing stick or something for the first 10 feet or so and then screw in steps above that. I either take the climbing stick out with me or if it's a long haul I hide it along a log on the way in, but never close to the stand. If they're going to use or steal it they'll have to work for it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

It is on private the landowner didnt no who it was ill keep the suggestions in mind and thanks