Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range Finder's

Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Range Finder's

How many of ya'll use the new range finders with the true yardage stuff. I dont understand it myself. I Have been using one of the first bushnell's and have never missed with it so i don't understand what is so special about the new one's. I would appreciate any opinions. I am going to get a new one just for the size difference.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Range Finder's

G - I - M - M - I - C
Old 10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just ordered a Leupold RX-II BTR which has the Ballistic, true range. I can't wait for it to come in, I didn't neccessarily get it for the true yardage feature, but for the size and quality of it. The True Rang eis a nice feature though.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM

At the kind of yardage a bowhunter is at, it wont make a huge difference, but it could. I hate to bring up any math from school but you can use the pathagorean theorum to calculate.... who wants to do that, so they are doing it for us. It will make a big difference to big game hunters shooting down hill or extreme angles. In a tree with an angle of -44 degrees if your line of sight is 32 yds to the deer from the tree he is only really 23 yds. It makes a difference but if you practice and are consistent use your old one.. you must be doing good with it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't need that new fangled advertising. I'm a bowhunter, not trying to figure the trajectory to put an arrow on the moon. I range straight out at my height to trees ahead of time. If I did range an animal from 20 feet up at say 22 or 23 yards, it's a dead nuts 20 yard pin shot and I'd aim for the bottom third of the critter. I don't need to trade ina range finder for the newest gimmick to hunt from 40 yards on in.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

As you know, companies have different departments...When it comes to selling a product Sales, Marketing and Advertising work hand in hand.....

Marketing and Advertising have done a pretty good job in the last few years in convincing hunters that they "need" a certain product to be successful....

I was killing deer in the 60s and 70s wearing Army Surplus camo and a Bear recurve bow...Heck, my current bow is more than 15 years old, but it will still kill deer...

My disclaimer....If you have the money and want to spend it, do so.....But it does not mean you will kill a Pope & Young just because you have it....
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM

Thanks guys. kind of what i was thinking i would hear. Not much difference with short yardage. DropTine i am right with you, I have and raise deer so i could really care less to harvest one.I love to watch and learn as much as i can about them. I do however range the animal and put my arrow where i want it. If i have any doubt about the shot there will be no shot. Just not worth a marginal shot reguardless of the size of the trophy.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

outdooraholic....it might be somewhat of a gimmick when it comes to practical bowhunting uses and shooting at game from a NORMAL treestand height and reasonable distance....

but id LOVE to have one...next summer i might buy one if they get good reviews...why?? ever shoot at a groundhog 400yds DOWN HILL??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree a range finder does not need to have the fancy "true yardage" stuff. But it's part of offerring the consumer more. Heck, one company has a range finder that also estimates rack score.

Crazy...but IF i was in the market for a new one (I'm not, I still use my 1st generation Bushnell Sport) I'd get all the options I could and still be in my price range...I just like "stuff".