Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting after a long rain? >

Hunting after a long rain?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting after a long rain?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hunting after a long rain?

Do you have any preference of where you hunt after a long hard all day rain? It rained ALL DAY yesterday here in NY. It ended early this morning. I'm heading out in a little while. I dont' really change anything as far as setting up after a good drenching rain.I more or less go by where I've had success in the past. I usually hunt my typical funnels and crop fields knowing that there is a very good chance of having deer moving in general.Just wondering if there is a more specific tactic I should be considering.

Also, what's your opinion on rising water and creek crossings after a big rain. How much does it take to deter a deer from crossing where he feels like crossing the creek? I have a few real nice stand locations along a creek running through the property. It's a runoff/flashflood kind of deal. Wondering if the suddenely much higher water that their not accustomed to forces them to move along the creek creating a natural funnel or do they not give it a second thought if it happens to be where they want to go.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting after a long rain?

Have had good luck at food sources right after a big rain
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding the creek, I believe the current and not the depth will have the most impact. If the water is fast moving, the deer are more likely to move to another crossing point or not cross at all. I agree with SSH. I would stick to the food sources today.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Food Food Food. After a long rain I tend to see tons of deer in the corners or fields, where in my area they can browse on acorns from the trees surronding the field as well as the crops in the field. Hope you catch em moving!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

Food Food Food. After a long rain I tend to see tons of deer in the corners or fields, where in my area they can browse on acorns from the trees surronding the field as well as the crops in the field. Hope you catch em moving!
Agreed. Rained all day here yesterday (finally). Went out last night and set on the edge of a field. About 6:30, they started coming out. About 6:40, arrowed a nice mature doe.
I'm off work today, and had planned on hunting this morning. It's still raining/overcast. But, decided to take the morning off. Gonna go help my younger brother get his new sight right on his bow. (He did help me hang/skin and 1/4 up my doe last night.)

GO FOR IT!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

Food Food Food.
What he said.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM

Yep, food. One of the absolutely best times to be in the woods.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I didnt' read this before I went out. I sat at the edge of a clover field (one of my favorite stands) and saw 5 different bucks and 4 does. Nothing big or in bowrange, but theywere sure working that field.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Agree with all of these guys, I had a good rain in Texas two days ago, hunted yesterday and the deer were moving to the acorns. I had a couple does come lick on a Fusion deer block, but I was mainly scouting for the next week. The creek between where I sit and a state refuge had more water than normal but they crossed right over with no concern.. I think current has alot to do with it, water was up but the current wasnt bad. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am in the middle of the rainy weather now but it should clear up by tomorrow afternoon.

Quick Reply: Hunting after a long rain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.