Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the biggest buck you've passed on this year? >

What's the biggest buck you've passed on this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the biggest buck you've passed on this year?

Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the biggest buck you've passed on this year?

I have passed up a couple spikes, a four pointer, and a future wall hanging eight pointer. Had a nice rack for 1.5 year old. The way I know if it is big enough is when I see it my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest, I cant think clearly, and Im shaking almost to much to stand up. Great feeling, hope it happens soon!!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM

I passed on a 6 point and a basket 8 point this year. bpth way to young even though I have yet to take a buck with my bow.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM

The way I know if it is big enough is when I see it my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest, I cant think clearly, and Im shaking almost to much to stand up. Great feeling, hope it happens soon!!
I get that feeling when any deer walks in range!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I elected to take the first legal buck that presented a shot this year.........
Old 10-23-2007, 03:38 PM

None, no buck sightings yet. I still have a good month before things even begin to get interesting.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

The word pass bugs me.

I have chosen not to try and shoot

80'' 8
120'' 9
Little 4 point
Same here. I chose not to try to shoot a 6pt, but tried to get a pic of him instead. I wish I did the same thing with the buckI shot last Saturday.[:@]Poor rackjudgement with fading light, my bad!Live and learn. I'll be hunting the rut with my camera. That should be awesome, and I'll share the pics as I get them.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Mihna

i passed up a huge 9 pt. it would easily score 160. the only bad thing is, that i have no doe tag and it was about 45 yards. NO Tag!!! it is so frustrating.
gonna take a stab at this one, assuming you are hunting in an earn-a-buck area? where you need to shoot a doe first to earn the right to shoot a buck? (ala most of Wisconsin...)

It is the states DNR way of combating the QDM programs in the state the take deer management out of the states hands and puts it into the hunters........sort of....
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM

opening day of WI bow season (from my notes)

Afternoon
SW wind gusting from the west
Stand: ------------------
Temp 61 degrees, 51 by the time i left (in stand by 4:00pm, out at 7:15pm)

As i was getting dressed at the base of the tree, two fawns walked by at about 50 yards to the north

5:00pm big buck came out of the tamaracks (by bens gun stand?) 10 pointer, HEAVY horns, 1-2" outside the ears, sticker on the bottom of the right horn by the G2, and a sticker on the right brow tine, 7"ish G2 and G3, 4" G4, 3-4" brow tines, average beam length. passed up a quartering away shot at 14 yards, and again at 17 yards, got spooked ran off to the swalehole to the north. (130-140" range)

6:00pm same spot by the tamaracks, saw a couple does, then a small buck came out followed by a larger buck, then another good buck

2nd buck: 10 pointers, 3-4" outside the ears, 7-9" G2's 8-10" G3's (not sure on the correct sides for the G4's but......) one side has a 3" G4, and the other side has a nub (doubt if it is an inch) beams out to the nose, passed up a shot quartering away at 12 yards, and another broadside at 19 yards (140-150" range)

3rd buck, real narrow very heavy. beams are bladed to the outside, looks like a 9 pointer, with a forkd G2, right side? G2&G3 9" range, crab claw on one side, other side a nub, crab claw runs parrallel to the beam. Was 6 yards from stand when the I had drawn on the 10 pointer, it saw me, and it spooked when i had to let off on the bow. (125-135" range)

the biggest buck was shot the following day, greenscored at 147 4/8, just found out the neighbor missed the 9 pointer this past saturday evening (said it was the biggest buck he has ever seen)

In hindsight, I probably should have taken a shot at the first buck, I am thinking that I severly underestimated his size the more I think about it, but with the rut coming up, it really doesnt bother me that much......

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10pointerwx7.jpg

got the above image because the guy that got it had someone filming, shot it in a stand about 80 yards from where I saw it the previous night, gotta love early season before the bucks change their routines and they are kinda dumb

Been pretty slow since that day, lots of opportunities at taking shots at does, but no bucks of size....
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

A spike and a 4 pt. They fed underneath me for almost 2 hours on Saturday with a raccoon. Fun to watch.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only buck I have seen this year. A small 5 pt.

Quick Reply: What's the biggest buck you've passed on this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.