Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Up State NY Rut???? >

Up State NY Rut????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Up State NY Rut????

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Up State NY Rut????

Hello all,
I live in up state NY, about a half hour from Ithaca. I heard some one say they thought the rut is coming in. I find that hard to beleive. Does anyone else in the up state NY area have any thought as to when you figure the rut will start kicking in??? I have been out every day for the past week. I have seen some deer but not many at all. There realy isnt much sign either. I will see deer a couple of days in a row then nothing for a couple of days.I know there is deer where im hunting they just dont seem to be moving. There is one button buck, lets call him doppy, that I see quite often. There is a big doe that fallows him around, I figure its his momma. She busted me drawing back on her and I took the shot but hit a twig. She boltedbut stoppedjust out if sight and range. She stood back there huffing for about 2 or 3 minutes anddoppy just stayed there around me. Not in a shootable spot, but wouldnt shoot anyway, to small. As dumb as he is being he wont make it to next year, someone will get triger happy.
This is my 3rd year bow hunting and have only ever gotten a nice doe. I hope this is the year for a buck, but it wont be doppy unless I fall out of my tree stand and myharnes breaks and I land on him lol. Good luckthis year everyone, thanks for the input.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Up State NY Rut????

Hi, I'm from just south of Albany. I think its about to start going. Saturday night we had a 4pt come out in the field and start checking the does. Kinda wonder if the younger deer start earlier than the big boys. Next weekend is supposed to be a lot colder so that should help. Good luck.

Josh
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw a few scrapes yesterday, but was sure hot. Saw one buck on Saturday night.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Isaw 1 doe last night ( not in range ). It was 79 degres, man thats just to hot for hunting. Yes I think your right Duramax05they say its finaly going to cool down some, but now its going to be nothing but rain for the next two days.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

albany area, found 4 scrapes the other day, dont ever remember seeing them this early, u think with this crazy warm spell it would be late?? u never know when it comes 2 the bow!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Gainesville which is just south of Warsaw. I didn't hunt this past weekend but the buddies at our camp said there are scrapes and rubs everywhere on the property. All of the six guys hunting saw bucks which is unusual for us, we usually see does. With this rain coming thru, I'm hoping to go Friday.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

2 or 3 weeks more Grasshopper. It's too early. Oh sure you'll find an occasional scrape maybe but the rut is far from starting. It's pre rut time. Bucks should start to wander and mess around but the girls aren't ready yet. Bucks haven't become stupid just yet.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Couple weeks away yet. The second full moon after fall equinox is friday (which means a lot or nothing depending on who you talk to [8D]). Looks like the weather is finally going to take a change for the better (for hunters). Some action and movement should pick up a little bit next week, but the real fun is still a couple weeks away.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thats what I was thinking. I figure not till about the first part of Nov. I have seen some rubs but the funny thing is there are none where i'm hunting ( which is a 1/4 mile up the road from me ) but there are some rubs on some small trees in my neighbors back yard, ( his lawn with a couple of small maple tree's in it ) I havnt seen the deer so they must be only coming there at night. Go figure, there are more sighn of deer in theback yard than in the woods of where I'm hunting, but I have seen deer there just nothing worth shooting. Well I did shoot at 1 doe but them dam little saplings scewed up my shot. That my story and I'm sticking to it lol.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the high temps, it's been slow in the areas I've been in. Hopefully things will change soon. The radio said today that we have averaged 9 degrees warmer this year in October than normal.............[:'(]

Quick Reply: Up State NY Rut????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.