HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   going in right before dark....good idea? bad idea? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/213387-going-right-before-dark-good-idea-bad-idea.html)

TommyGunn 10-22-2007 10:26 AM

going in right before dark....good idea? bad idea?

im scouted this block of woods yesturday that looks to be pretty good. i know theres 3 nice bucks in there because i seen then earlier in the season near a horse pasture. well i walked back yesturday in the middle of the day and found some nice rubs and scrapes. some of the scrapes were about 18-20inchs wide while some where less then 12inchs. i plan on hunting near the trail as soon as the wind is right or i can get in from the other side if the woods by the field that they are going too. i was planning comeing in by the lake since its low gives me a good place to park w/o driving in the field. but my questiion is its so easy to get turned around in there because everything looks the same and i was going to go put some brighteyes out today after work and hunt it tomarrow hopefully. would it be a good idea to do this today about 6-630? i dont like going in where im hunting that late but i really want to get set up for tomarrow afternoon or at least get these brighteyes out. i would be coming in downwind from where i think the deer are and they MAY even be up near the field already so i wont have to worry about it. has anybody else hung stands, put out corn, or anything else right before dark the day or 2 before the hunt? is it too risky?

BobCo19-65 10-22-2007 10:28 AM

RE: going in right before dark....good idea? bad idea?

I wouldn't.

TommyGunn 10-22-2007 10:38 AM

would it be better to just go sit in the corner of the feild that the rubs lead to and not waste time brighteyein it from the other way even if there is good sign on the lake side too.

monsterbuckhunter17 10-22-2007 10:40 AM

i wouldn't go in tonight unless it is earlier in the day but u never know i went in b4 dark one day and shot a good buck but i went in at like 5 530 not ant like 6 630 i wouldn't go in that late

NHdeerhunter 10-22-2007 10:58 AM

I would put out the bright eyes while you're on your way in to hunt, that way you kill two birds with one stone. No sense going in and leaving scent without hunting it.

MichaelHunsucker 10-22-2007 11:14 AM

I definately wouldnt go in right before dark...do you really need the brighteye things? It shouldnt be too difficult finding your way to the stand

TommyGunn 10-22-2007 12:58 PM

well....haha i hunted not far from the area last week and shot a small 8pt and when i went back in to my stand to find him and get him out, i couldn't find my stand. everything looks the same at night. theres no creeks, fields, anything. its just flat and its about a 900yd walk into the woods. i found a few NICE rubs yesturday and walked 80yds and turned back to go to the rub couldn't find it. its just everything looks the same and after it took me 4 hr to get that deer home after the shot, i think the bright eyes would help alot. the only reason i wanted to get them out today is because carrying a bow and a treestand on my back and putting out brighteyes would take time and im already pushin it by gettin in there at 5 to hunt. the wind wont be right to hunt untill wend so i might get in from the field side where i wont need them.

burniegoeasily 10-22-2007 01:50 PM

Get there early, or leave it alone. You will spook the good deer well before you get there. That is, unless you take your time and approach it like you were still hunting. But even at that, you will get there way too late.