Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dogs running the woods. >

dogs running the woods.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dogs running the woods.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dogs running the woods.

Here's how I keep them out of my area.....

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

If i seen dogs chasing deer on my property, they would be shot in no time unless i new whose they were! Most of the time i tell the owners aboutit but if i see them again there done. I talked with the game warden about it and he said if you actually see them chasing deer and its on your property, you can legaly shoot them! All states are different with there laws but here where i live law or no law no dogs are going to be ruining my deerhunting!
If dnr or the police see a dog chase deer they can shoot it. Don't see why civi's can't then. Plus the owner of a dog that kills deer can be fined up to $500 per deer that was killed by their dog.
But as far as the thread goes, it doesn't sound as if the dogs have been witnessed chasing, and they have collars so it'd be pretty low to kill someones pet for better deer hunting. IMO anyways..

Edit: Err long day, after rereading I guess they've been seen chasing deer so if the thread starter can't find the owners and witnesses em chaing deer again...up to him whether or not to kill em eh. Odd that people would let their dogs run during this season though...shame
Old 10-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DBerrard

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

If i seen dogs chasing deer on my property, they would be shot in no time unless i new whose they were! Most of the time i tell the owners aboutit but if i see them again there done. I talked with the game warden about it and he said if you actually see them chasing deer and its on your property, you can legaly shoot them! All states are different with there laws but here where i live law or no law no dogs are going to be ruining my deerhunting!
If dnr or the police see a dog chase deer they can shoot it. Don't see why civi's can't then. Plus the owner of a dog that kills deer can be fined up to $500 per deer that was killed by their dog.
But as far as the thread goes, it doesn't sound as if the dogs have been witnessed chasing, and they have collars so it'd be pretty low to kill someones pet for better deer hunting. IMO anyways..

Edit: Err long day, after rereading I guess they've been seen chasing deer so if the thread starter can't find the owners and witnesses em chaing deer again...up to him whether or not to kill em eh. Odd that people would let their dogs run during this season though...shame
I've felt bad when i've shot dogs, to tell you the truth its not the dogs fault, its really the people who own the dogs is who toblame, but if there not going to keep there dogs home, i guessthen the land owner has to take care of it himself! Its never a good thing but there's not much else to do about it other then let em run on your property!Its a tough spot to be in!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ain't shootin no dog!!! My deer hunt isn't that important. Lots of dogs in 1 place I just move to another a few miles away. A few yrs ago I had a really hot early stand. Then it just dried up [&:][&:][&:]I had no clue and then on the 3rd day I saw the culpret.A ferral cat. I could have shot it but but its life was hard enough as it was. Looked plenty healthy at the time so I let it be...... I don't like playing God.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contact your local/county animal control personnel. Many counties have statutes against letting pets run wild. Anyway, if your lucky enough to have these laws, animal control will come out and live trap the dogs and remove them.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

Contact your local/county animal control personnel. Many counties have statutes against letting pets run wild. Anyway, if your lucky enough to have these laws, animal control will come out and live trap the dogs and remove them.
Ditto!!!!

Try this first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of these threads are crazy, you want to talk about antis getting fuel for the fire, this thread will do it! The local shelter will most likely come out and set some live traps. If they don't, call the warden and see what he has to say about it(just don't make it public if you are aloud to put them down).
Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Call animal control first and foremost, if that doesn't resolve the matter then SSS may be the only answer. In my state if a loose dog is causing damage to your property or livestock you can cap them. Disruption of hunting is also considered damage.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: sandilands

...... I don't like playing God.
But taking a deer with a gun or bow is okay? Sorry, but you do realize how silly this does sound, right?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought I could kill a dog running deer in my zone but can't help but think someone cares for that dog as much as I care for mine. Heck I would give up the wife and kids first b4 I gave up my brittany.
Granted, I don't live in an area where feral dogs are a problem but would sure have trouble shooting a collared pet. I do keep a rubber blunt in my quiver and think that might get their attention with a shot to the rump but I doubt they would associate that with running deer and would probably be doing it again real soon anyway.
If you do lace a dog just don't let the word get out. Could be a real black eye for hunters.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:02 AM
bigcountry

Shooting someone's pet, you are risking your own life and and your families. Back in the day before I accepted Christ, if you arrowed my dog, I would have shot ya, no ifs ands or buts. But, now, humans over dogs. But I know people that would burn down your house over thier pet. And if you haven't noticed in the news lately, they would have the backing of the media when it was said and done.

Dogs run deer, all kinds of things disturb deer. You can't stop them all. Thats hunting. If you really want to stop everything that disturbs deer, go out and buy meat. Or buy a rack off ebay.

Quick Reply: dogs running the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.