HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My First Archery Buck "155 1/4" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/213068-my-first-archery-buck-155-1-4-a.html)

Zingnut 10-20-2007 10:31 AM

My First Archery Buck "155 1/4"

I would first like to say thanks to the "Man Upstairs" for giving me the all the blessings I have to be thankful for, to my cousin Dave for getting me into deer hunting with a gun, then a big thanks to Jason (Buck442) for introducing and supplying the obession I currently have for Archery hunting and for being a great friend.

I took this buck on Oct. 12th @ 6:20pm, I have trail cam pics of the deer from Oct 1st and the 11th. It was a breezy afternoon with temps in the mid to low 60's. I hunted a field across the creek for the one I shot this buck in the night before. I saw 24deer and 4 bucks, but nothing over first year racks. THey were fighting quite a bit while in the field. While this was going on I heard some horns hitting for the other field, made a mental note of it and decided if I could hunt it I would hunt the other field tomorrow. I went in to stand the next day around 3:50pm was getting out kinda late since the babysitter was running late. I had washed up and did my normal scent rountine. I picked the tree near one of my cams. I could see the whole filed and was in a little point that protruded into the field. It was not long and the first few deer came out. They browsed around for over and hour. For some reason something spooked them out of the field. I checked the wind and I was good. The farm has quite a few coyotes on it and could have been the problem. About an hour later a group of does came out and started feeding my way. One lead doe broke off from the group and moved into the woods to my left. She disappeared into the woods. THe others continued feeding. Fifteen minutes later the doe reappeared where she went in and had a spike buck in tow. Right after the spike was a low 130" 8 pointer that I have on my pics. I was ranging him waiting for an open shot when I started my motion to draw I noticed movement coming out of the woods from the same area. I turned slowly and noticed the ten. I instantly knew the deer from the pics. I knew he was the one I wanted and let the 8 pass by at 25 yards. I was hoping the ten would pass on the same route to the field. He broke a little farther out and after ranging him for over 10 mins I chose the openning I would take the shot if he passed thru. A few minutes later he passed the openning and I took the shot with my trusty old Mathews 05' Switchy. It sounded like the arrow hit a log, the buck turned and dove off into the creek. The other deer noticed him jump but stayed in the field till dark. I heard the buck crash minutes after the shot but still wanted the see the arrow and give him sometime sine I did not want to mess my first buck up with pushing him. Called my cousin Dave from the stand and told him the story, we both decided to look at the arrow and give him some time. Figured I would pack up and load the truck and drive home. The shot was a pass through and the arrow was covered in bright red blood. I went home called Jason up and he was fired up and wanted to come track it with me. After 30+ mins he arrived, we went to the arrow and started tracking. At the bottom of the creek the blood was squirting out hitting leaves on the brush. It was an easy 45-60 yard track to the buck. Wow what a feeling, we celebrated and marked the spot with pics and on my GPS. What a feeling, I hope everyone gets the same oppurtunity to share great moments with great friends. Green Scored 155 1/4.

Thanks Jason for also taking the great pics!!!

Oct 1st cam pic.

Oct 12th pics

rybohunter 10-20-2007 10:35 AM

RE: My First Archery Buck

Nice story. COngrats, that's a sweet looking buck. How tall are those tines?

mauser06 10-20-2007 10:38 AM

awesome man!! congrats!! thats a HECK of a first!! hes a goodun!!! good job!

HuntingBry 10-20-2007 10:46 AM

Congrats on the buck and great story. Nothing like setting the bar high with your first.

Good job.

MIHunter77 10-20-2007 10:46 AM

Wow.....congrats!!! He's a monster!!!

KoBear 10-20-2007 10:52 AM

wow. what a brute for a first buck!

congrats.

no smiles?

White-tail-deer 10-20-2007 10:52 AM

Awesome Congrats!! It's cool when you can catch up with one you get trail cam pictures of! Nice Buck!!

WakeCow 10-20-2007 10:52 AM

wow thats a great buck! Congrats

Planter 10-20-2007 10:53 AM

FIRST achery buck.. Geez bud your coming out strong.It was cool wasn't it?? Nothing like a bow deer but with a first like that I hope you don't have to wait for a better one before you shoot again.

KIDD642 10-20-2007 11:12 AM

Major congrats..great story.