Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys.... >

Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

I guess I'm not quite sure where you are talking like this is a sad day, and some are kicking you when you are down. If you were going to feel so down or depressed (unless I'm reading you wrong) well then why did you shoot the buck?

It was your choice to shoot him, you did, and you should be happy you have a buck and you put one out of some misery. Would I have done it, probably not, because I get one buck tag all year, the rut is yet to come, and I have seen deer survive many things. But that is my choice and this was yours. I really dont think you should be acting all down and out about it about it.Be happy you dida good deed today, not in need of sympothy or praise.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would have done the exact same thing it just tears me we up watching a wounded animal. Good job and congrats, just because he is not a wall hanger does not make it any less of an acomplishment.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey, I think he has character, almost a "Rob" buck..lol I'd done the same thing and used my one and only tag on him just because. Kudos Jeff.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

well there is nothing wrong with that, he probably would not have made it much longer, infection, yotes or whatever. not a bad thing Jeff
Old 10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hes a great lookin deer.....too bad his leg was busted but you did do a great thing.....Congrats man!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM

Hey Jeff, congrats on the buck, he is a beautiful deer, and as Frank said, don't over think it. Sure, he may have went on to live a perfectly normal life, but hey also may not have, one thing for sure is that there isn't a chance for him to suffer now. Your goal as a hunter in the grand scheme of things is to kill a deer as humanely as possible and you did just that. I had a similar thing happen in 2004, I decided to hunt rifle season with my bow. I decided I was going to tag a buck with my bow or I wasn't shooting one at all. That all changed one day when I came home from a morning hunt and decided to walk to my foodplot in my back yard and check my game camera. I saw a buck get up that had two broken legs. At that time I had to change my goals and I went home and grabbed my rifle, I now have a 20" wide 8 point on my wall. Sure, I could have been upset that I didn't fullfill my goal of shooting a buck with a bow, but I think the bigger picture is that I did the right thing by taking the most productive means to ensure that buck didn't suffer anymore. Don't worry about Valor10, his comments really have nothing to do with this thread. I have no idea why he would single you out for posting your harvest photos, many guys do it all the time on these boards, thats just ridiculous. As far as the doe photos, even though that doesn't pertain to this thread, there is still no way of telling if the shot had anything to do with it getting caught in the fence or not. I have seen perfectly healthy, un-injured deer run into fence and get caught, it happens alot more than people think. It goes along with bucks getting locked together, or bucks getting their racks stuck while rubbing trees, its just something that happens.

Congrats again Jeff, he is a beautiful buck, and that G-1 is crazy, let me know how long that thing is.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not sad BECAUSE I "had" to take an animal. Maybe I just don't get my point across very well. I'd have felt the same way, or worse, if I'd seen him go by me out of range.

The "sad" part is.....he was injured. I have no remorse for taking him. Personal decision I'll live with just fine.

Any time I see a deer injured; dead by automobile; In a fence, dead?: etc..., it's a sad day. I guess I thought that was understood.I guess I could have just said....."Here's the buck I killed, today".

I'm out. Have a good afternoon if you're headed out OR staying in.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My wife just asked me if I'd posted the picture of the deer. I said "No" in a tone she questioned me on. She said "You act like you're ashamed of him".

I'm not.

Here he is. I don't regret a thing about it.

Jeff,
You did the right thing nothing wrong with that if I see a wounded deer Im gonna do my duty and put it out of its misery. Its not like they can just run and see a doctor. Nothing to hang your head over great shot and good job!
Tim
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 PM

good for you ....could u jsut imagine him in 2 years wat his brow tines would be congrats
Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I'm not quite sure where you are talking like this is a sad day, and some are kicking you when you are down. If you were going to feel so down or depressed (unless I'm reading you wrong) well then why did you shoot the buck?
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I don't see the need for the drama or pity party.

Congrats on the buck ... you did the right thing. I've done it before and used my only buck tag (and was happy and proud about it afterwards).

Quick Reply: Shot a buck this morning.....Sad day, guys....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.