Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 summit stand failure(pics added page 2) >

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Old 10-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: summit stand failure

thought i was exagerating, huh?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Dominant Buck

No. But I have to ask.....How much do you weigh?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's not good, glad I have APIs...Are those stands made by welding a seam together, looks kinda like that...Looks like the weld came apart and allowed it to bend...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think anyone here thought you were exagerating; we were just wondering how it happened, that's all. As someone said, it couldn't have just happened by itself sitting in a corner... Now we know.

Glad you're ok.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 PM

How did it bend upwards. I figured with weight on it it might bend downward.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad you're fine, too. I think the labcoat guy at Summit used to be a NASA engineer. I'm guessing we don't see too much of this. I'm just extremely skeptical. Something happened to this stand before this (IMO).
Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No. But I have to ask.....How much do you weigh?
245. stands rated to 300

but like i've said, i've been using them for a decade, and my wieght is consistent since 11th grade...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm glad you're fine, too. I think the labcoat guy at Summit used to be a NASA engineer. I'm guessing we don't see too much of this. I'm just extremely skeptical. Something happened to this stand before this (IMO).
Jeff, how about NO?

let me clarify..
i use the stand at least twice a week thru oct, nov, dec for the past several years. never have an issue.

i take them in for the season and store them in my attic.

i take them down each august , check em over, and hand em in the same trees i've nbeen hanging them in for years

i use this one 4 times this year, this happens today.

for some reason your tone seems to indicate i'm BSing. i have nothing to gain here. I'm sharing some info and MAYBE preventing someone from getting hurt.. i don't hold a grudge against summit, i have a few more summit stands and i will continue to support them.

What do you have invested to suspect i'm lying?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Default RE: summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

I had the same exact failure last year. I weigh slightly less than you. I had that stand for about 2 years, and while descending a tree it buckled the bottom half of the climber about 6' off the ground. Summit was happy to replace the bottom half no questions, but it was not the same unit as was broken that I received in the mail. Obviously there is a problem. I bought that stand because of the weight load (300lbs) to be safe. What a heart stopper when that metal just kept creasing like rubber.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saw a stand today. I guess they're spelling it out these days. "Stand rated at 300 lbs. hunter with all gear included."

Only you know whats gone on with the stand. It is up to you to make sure the thing is safe and in good condition. Ya gota check them over before using them.

I haven't liked summits for a while, but never was concerned about their strength.

I don't think it's that hard to determine whats making a creeking sound either. I ground much of the bite of my summit. Darn thing dug in way to deep for me. I was always affraid a dnr guy would bust me for messing up a tree.

Quick Reply: summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.