Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 summit stand failure(pics added page 2) >

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: summit stand failure

Mikey asked the question I was going to... How did it get that way? Something had to have caused the metal to bend like a pretzel... I really can't even see any of my Summits bending to that extreme if I dropped them 20' from a tree.

Please explain what happened...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Metal fatigue?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Except when the bottom falls to the ground and you are sitting on the top!!! You big dummy.

Dink....the other white meat
ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I hate hearing this, my goliath has been great.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to hear some details on this as well. A catastrophic failure is cause for concern for any Summit owner. Pics would be very helpful.

Matt is exactly right about the powder coat. My first time out with my Summit stand I noticed terrible squeaking against the bark of the beech tree I was in. As soon as I got home I filed the powder coat off and no more squeaking.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

yeah, but you had that stand beefed up from the factory to acomidate your fat @$$ before i bought it off you, dummy [8D]
ORIGINAL: honcho12

Except when the bottom falls to the ground and you are sitting on the top!!! You big dummy.

Dink....the other white meat
ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I hate hearing this, my goliath has been great.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I made a post not 2 days ago regarding my Viper Classic. Its the cheaper of the Summit Climbers. The bottom part kept "creeking" and it was not easing to hear while 30'+ up in a tree. I took the bottom back and exchanged it, last night I went out with my new bottom portion and original top portion, this one is worse. Im going to call Summit and see if there is a "silent recall" like car companies sometimes have. Although, I would think any recall would be made public information given the high probability of injury under the circumstances in which this "product" is used by its owners.
Believe it or not most of the time the "Creaking" you hear with the platforms has to do with the powder coat in the teeth on certain tree styles. Its weird I know but trust me, the powder coat makes noises against certain bark.
Take a file and rasp all the coating off the contact points with the tree and I bet the noise goes away.
Matt's right. It's in the informationalDVDSummit issues with the stand. And I can't understand how you could bend that metal??? I have several of their stands and none have given me a bit of problem and I'm glad to hear they want resolve your problem in quick responsible manner.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok guys, i am off to work now i will post some pics when i get home.

short story, i'm climbing in the dark this morning, i am about 15 feet up and i put pressure on the bottom and it felt like it was "giving way" for lck of a better turn. i thought it was wierd, made one more "climb" and when i put pressure on the bottom again it bent more . like taffy....when you see the pics you will be shocked, i had a tough time getting out of the tree.

i have 4 summit vipers, never had an issue, but this got me scared. like i said, it was like the metal just "melted".

pics to follow
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just saw this today-
http://www.tmastands.com/recalls.php

Lots of summits on there...... but it looks to only be fore the harness....
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

like i said, it was like the metal just "melted".
Radioactive stink foot [:'(]

[8D]
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres some pics

(edited to stack the photos so they didn't scroll across the screen)

Quick Reply: summit stand failure(pics added page 2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.