Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

self butchering

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default self butchering

i know there are alot of you that do your deer your selfs.

i have thought about it .

Due to the cost , being able to know it is done right and clean.

I am good with a knife but do not really have a place to do it

where do you guys do it at . What place do you fine to be the best . i.e kitchen garage just out doors or what

what do you do about clean up and getting ride of the carcass.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: self butchering

Well before you can become a well renouned butcher you have to learn how to SHARPEN your spelling skills.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL,

I have a gambrel system in my garage, Prior to my new garage floor I simply hung it fromt he trusses. Now with my new floor, LOL I lay down plastic or cardboard to catch the blood etc....

I also have a can I use to catch the scrap, I lay a board across it and hang it, skin it, quarter it, debone it and put it in tin pans to move to the spare refridg. A couple days to set up and I microclean it and bag it.

I am very particular about my venison and I want to know it can go from bag to pan without issue. The closer you microbutcher your venny, the better the eatin too.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

why can't you just answer the question or not respond. I am sure you make a typos aswell or are you just perfect
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigtim, its not all that difficult. Im no where near a pro at butchering a deer, but the doe i did this morning didnt come out all that bad. Simply hang it anywhere you can, perferably somewhere that is cool. Then slowly start taking the deer apart. You are going to want a good sharp knife, i use a small filet knife.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM

"Deer Processing 101"by Brad Lockwood is the most informative how to dvd you can buy. It takes you through every step from feild dressing to the freezer. It is worth every penny...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before we had a barn to hang one in we just used a tree limb to hang them from. I quarter them that way and then carry the quarter inside and debone on the kitchen counter. Burger gets cleaned, thengoesdirectly into the grinder. Steaks are cleaned,cut to size, wrapped, bagged, and frozen. Depending on what you want to do it can take anywhere from a couple hours to most of the day.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

just about anywhere will work,throw the meat in bags or ice chest, then to the kitchen to cut it into freezer portions
Old 10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Well before you can become a well renouned butcher you have to learn how to SHARPEN your spelling skills.
I don't usually do this...in fact I don't do this at all. That is until someone comes on here who wants to point out a grammatical error. So before you do...please make sure that your post is free from all errors as well.

For instance...you spelled renouned incorrectly. The correct spelling would be renowned. Renown is used as a noun and means "widespread honor or fame..." While renowned is used as an adjective meaning "having renown; famous."

Just thought I'd clear that up for you...no harm, no foul.

NH1
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

We do all our butchering. We butcher in a garage with all the necessities. We have a grinder, and table we butcher on. We use the filet knives as well. They seem to work better. Make sure you clean everything after every use, and you wont have any problems. When we are finished we have a very big hole and we drop the remains in the hole. We have a fence over top of it to keep animals out. Then when hunting season is over we cover the hole...

Quick Reply: self butchering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.