HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   SHOOTING HIGH OR LOW FROM TREESTAND? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/212290-shooting-high-low-treestand.html)

mfhunter27 10-16-2007 08:19 AM

SHOOTING HIGH OR LOW FROM TREESTAND?

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN ASKED SEVERAL TIMES, BUT I HAVE BEEN HEARING DIFFERENT THINGS FROM DIFFERNT PEOPLE-NOT NECESSARILY FROM HUNTING NET. SO I AM COUNTING ON THE PEOPLE HERE ON THIS SITE FOR A FINAL ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION! I TRUST THE PEOPLE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO DO YOU AIM A LITTLE HIGH WHEN SHOOTING FROM A STAND, A LITTLE LOW, OR DOES IT REALLY MATTER IF YOU BEND AT THE WAIST AND SHOOT WITH TODAY'S BOWS?

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GR8atta2d 10-16-2007 08:24 AM

RE: SHOOTING HIGH OR LOW FROM TREESTAND?

Tad Low 1-2 inches dependant on range.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-16-2007 08:27 AM

Most of why your confused is miscommunication.

If you use proper form out of a treestand and bend at the waist, you aim for the exit hole. This has a tendency to be slightly (slightly) higher than from level ground ONLY because of the path of travel for your arrrow, again, aim for the exit hole.

People who simply lower their bow arm without bending at the waist will tend to shoot HIGH. That is why most people overshoot deer. (not to mention them reacting to sound). For those people who DO NOT bend at the waist, they have to aim lower than they expect to hit. I find that crazy, why not just use proper form and take the guess work out.

The other reason to aim lower than normal would be for laser range finding your distance. If you shoot the distance with your range finder to the deer from the tree and it reads 26 yards, the actual distance is more like 25 yards from the ground level. One might, might aim slightly lower but, if you know that knowledge ahead of time and range it for 26 yards, subtract that one yard, bend at the waist, pick a hair that puts your arrow through the deer for the correct pass though shot for the exit hole and nail it.

I never aim low in anticipation to the reaction of the whitetail. I learned that lesson and will never do it again. I aimed just below the heart and a very nervous buck at 41 yards, My arrow hit exactly where I was aiming and flew just under the heart of the buck, he did not drop in reaction, had I aimed at the top of the heart, he'd be on my wall today.

If you must aim low, make sure you are still in the vitals.

Sooner State Hunter 10-16-2007 08:27 AM

I naturally aim little low in case the deer drops

nchawkeye 10-16-2007 09:21 AM

Rob has it right...I shot over a doe twice this year, she wasn't dropping, she came back in, never lost sight of her...

Shooting from the top of my house (20-25 feet up) I have all the room in the world to bend at the waist and have proper form...Put a deer under me, in a tree stand with my back to the tree and I tend to just lower my arm...I went to a bow shop that has been around since the 60s, this guy knows his stuff, in fact he even hunted with Fred Bear....

Here is what he explained and also showed me...You must bend your neck, feel the string on your nose...It's like a guy shooting over a turkey with a shotgun, he is looking over the barrel at the turkey and not getting down on the stock, which raises your rear sight, when you raise the rear sight on a gun (or a bow) you shoot high....

He installed 2 nocks (like a peep) on my bow string to let me line up on my pin, I've killed 2 does with it since...

Btw, I hold 2/3 of the way down on a deer, behind the shoulder....

When you are 20 feet up in a tree, a deer at 20 yards from the base of your tree might range 21 yards, because you are actually that far away, but you should hold for the range at the base of the tree, or range a tree at your height...It's not enough difference to worry about, forget it...

Finally, a deer will jump the string, no matter how fast your bow is, the trick is to shoot at deer that are relaxed, not tense...If that deer has sensed that you are there, don't shoot....

LebeauHunter 10-16-2007 09:36 AM

I get the shotgun analogy nc, I used to duck and goose hunt a lot and that middle bead helped
a lot on a quick shot, especially overhead.

That said, won't using a consistent anchor point and then aligning your sight ring with your peep fix what
Rob and nchawkeye are talking about even if you don't (or forget) to bend at the waist?

Finally, I've heard people say to shoot low not due to aiming issues, but due to them dropping at the
shot (coiling to jump). I know it's been repeated a thousand times, but I guess that is a reason
a lot of people say to aim low. Then you have the exit hole issue Rob is talking about, at a fairly
severe angle you woulnd't want to aim low for obvious reasons. So it seems to me you have two
factors playing against each other.

nchawkeye 10-16-2007 10:05 AM

I had always anchored at the corner of my mouth (I shoot fingers)...But when he mentioned feeling the string with my nose, I realized that that evening I didn't remember doing that, the 2 nocks made me bend my neck and get down on the string....A peep will do the same, you just loose a lot of light using a peep...It would be interesting if the original poster has shot over deer and is he using a peep???

Guess I'm thinking if you are using a peep and shooting over then the deer is dropping and he needs to work on getting his bow quieter or only shoot at relaxed deer...I did learn several years ago that I shoot better without a face mesh on my head, so I pull it down before shooting or leave it off...

I shoot an older bow, with 31 inch 2413 arrows..When I was younger and shooting a Bear Whitetail I did have a few deer jump the string, but I realized after watching some bow hunting shows that the deer I had shot over were not relaxed...

I do aim low, but not off the deer...

I used to get up 15 feet because I was scared of heights...Now that we have better stands and I wear a safety harness, I'm getting higher (and getting busted less)...

So getting higher exagerated the angle which showed up in my poor form...

fingerz42 10-16-2007 10:09 AM

x

fingerz42 10-16-2007 10:11 AM

Shoot LOWER, extra speed of arrow will make trajectory hit higher than it should. Same holds true for bullets. I had the whole phsyics behind how this works typed out and then i hit submit and it said page not displayed, not gonna go through rewriting all of what i said..

Deleted User 10-16-2007 10:56 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]