Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will we have an early rut? >

Will we have an early rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will we have an early rut?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Will we have an early rut?

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

TFOX, of course the bucks are ready, hell wouldn't you be. But the does are far off. Watch the tarsal glands. The doe I shot Saturday still had her button fawn with her and her tarsals were snow white....the does determind the rut, the bucks do not.

Guys, start watching the tarsal glands of the does, bucks too. The more rutty, the blacker the tarsals. The whiter the tarsals, no rut activity...even the buck I saw on Saturday only had slightly dark tarsals, he wasn't pumped yet.

But I would think they know more than we do.

Who am I kidding,when it comes to females,MALES KNOW NOTHING.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 PM

The rut will be nearly the same time every year give or take a few days. The moon doesn't dictate when the rut begins contrary to popular belief. Daylight, or the lack thereof is what dictates when the does come into heat.

Example: In Ohio you can just about mark your calander on Nov. 10 as to the beginning of the peak rut. It may sway either way by a couple days.

Should there be an early rut, meaning weeks before it would normally hit, the fawn crop of the following spring would have a dramatic negative mortality impact.

I've witnessed over the past 25 years does being chased as early as the 3rd week of Sept. here in Ohio. Just this week I've witnessed does being harassed by 1.5 yr. old bucks. When I see this activity taking place in October, I add 20 to 30 days to it and it's pretty close.

There are some does which will cycle as early as Sept, and a few percentage points of them cycling in mid Oct. However the "main" breeding season won't kick in until just after the first week in November, at least here in Ohio. Northern counties may show sign of increased activity before the southern counties do.

The golden time is just around the corner. It sure does get your attention when the "early birds" start the pre-season playoffs though!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM

From my experiance the phase of the moon simply dictates how much daytime activity we will see during the rut. This year the 2nd full moon is a little earlier than the last few years. Hopefully that will increase the daytime activity before the lock down phase gets here. Also lets hope it doesnt get to warm like the last few years!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oops, wrong thread.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM

I was on my stand and I see a doe walking by and her turning back looking in the woods from where she came from a few times. I figured something was behind her, and sure enough, a buck comes by, hot on her trail.