Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD >

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Old 10-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer hit, tracking suggestions.

wait like 5 hours and if you have little blood wait till morning
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Well, we had no blood for a good bit when we started looking last night. I decided to cross this fence into the patch of woods I thought he had entered. I started doing a grid search of the area and came across a ton of blood. I followed it up to where I believe he had bedded down. There were was blood the whole trail, huge drops, sprays, bubbles in it. I came to the spot where he bedded, and there are 3 pools of blood about 6-10 in. in diameter, one of which had what I believe was lung matter in it.It was the big chunk of jelly like substance about half the size of my hand, and lots of bright blood. We tracked for another 10 yds, and lost the trail. After no sleep was back up this morning at first light, found some more spots of blood going for about another 30 yds. One spot on some bare dirt the size of a baseball. At this point the deer is going through a neighbors back yard. The trail just stops. I cannot find hide nor hair of this deer. Combed through all the likely bedding cover and cannot find a thing. Sisters BF has a german short hair that has tracked deer and offered to bring him over tonight. I am sick about not finding this buck. I am 99% positive based on the blood lossthat this is a dead deer. I hate the thought of killing him but not finding him. By the way total distance tracked is roughly 130-150 yds. or so. Any suggestions would be great. [&o]

Shane
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep looking if you can. 130-150 yds isn't very far.
good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM

Go back and find the blood. If he is leaving spots the size of baseballs and your hand then you are missing it because it's there. What you have to find is the small stuff that ties the big spots together. It may just be drops so you have to look HARD.

Find the blood and back track a bit and then put toilet paper on limbs to mark his path.........step back and look along the paper trail and it will give you a good idea what direction he is going. Be careful where you walk because you might be covering up what you are looking for.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like a good hit you just might have to pull a Matt and get on you hands and knees and crawl through the thick stuff. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

If you are that sure than yo owe it to yourself and that animal not to give up. That would be easy and we have all been there. He is there somewhere. Persistence should pay off. Keep up your chin buddy.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

That buck is dead and you were within 100 yards of him. Go call your bow shop and ask for help.
You are missing something nothing bleeds like that and lives.
Where are you located at?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in WC pa bawana. Atlas, I have been doing just that, the small spots do connect the bigger ones. I have been on my hands and kness looking for the next spot, and cannot find it for the life of me. I don't know if something spooked him, and he took off or what. i am waiting for a few friends to get here. I am guessing with the warm temps, the meat will be spoiled. []I will try to take some pics of the blood to give you an idea.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats not very far, this buck could easily be gut shot yet! Go and get him, leave the dogs home, what happens if you jump him, dogs will screw that up for you big time!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen different people with this same scenario and the deer circled back on its same trail and was not far from there stand. Worth it to look in the opposite direction he went in case he back tracked for some reason. Seen it happen before. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Deer hit, tracking suggestions. Update, NOT GOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.