HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Got one on the ground. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/212053-got-one-ground.html)

tricci357 10-14-2007 11:32 PM

Got one on the ground.

This is the first year that I have not been able to hunt much in a long time. I recently moved from northern Michigan down to Detroit for work. So, I have been a weekend worrior all year. After several outings of not seeing anything, then seeing some run off I headed out today with high hopes. It was overcast, light breeze, and only 50 degrees. I was looking forward to perfect day.

I got out in the tree at about 4:30. I took a practice shot and hit right on the money. For some reason I decided to get out of the tree and look at the arrow. When I did this I spooked three deer that snuck up on me. Oh well.

ABout 6:00 I was looking north when I saw a deer starting to sneak in. Almost immediatly I noticed that the deer had antlers. He walked around for a while, and finally went to the bait pile after about five minutes. He gave me a 15 yard quarter away, and I sent an arrow right at him. I saw the shot hit a little low, and the deer took off.

I first noticed that the arrow did not pass through, which I am not use to, but it looked good. He ran 50 yards and stopped. He then began to sway and tipped over. I was in the middle of my celebration when he got up and started to run off again. For 15 minutes I heard him run and crash, run and crash, and again run and crash. I waited about 45 mins and started to track slowly. I immediatly found blood and lots of it. I tracked the deer about 100 yards and lost blood.

It was dark now and needed some help. My Pop joined me and we began to track again. We soon found where the deer had made a right turn and and founds puddles of blood. We tracked another 50 yards untill we lost blood again. At that point I began to wonder if I had killed this thing. I turned to my left and my flashlight found him for me.

My buck is a seven point (main frame six with kicker off of the left beam right above the burr.) He went a total of 150 yards from a shot that was about 4 inches low. I did hit a lung and some arteries going to the heart. This is the first buck that I have taken with a bow in seven years. It may not be the biggest, but I am exremely happy.

mobow 10-15-2007 05:50 AM

RE: Got one on the ground.

Congrats!

mahunter 10-15-2007 05:51 AM

Nice deer man, Opening day is here for me today, but i can't get in the woods till tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday

iowabob85 10-15-2007 05:57 AM

Congrats on the buck.

wvubowhunter 10-15-2007 06:09 AM

Congrats on the buck

GMMAT 10-15-2007 06:39 AM

Congrats on your 7-pointer.

BobCo19-65 10-15-2007 06:51 AM

COngratulation. Were you using a natural blind?

r33h 10-15-2007 07:22 AM

Congrats on the nice buck!!

Jim_IV 10-15-2007 07:26 AM

Congrats on the buck!!

Sliverflicker 10-15-2007 07:32 AM

Nice buck, Congrats.