Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Respectable poachers...if there is such a thing. >

Respectable poachers...if there is such a thing.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Respectable poachers...if there is such a thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Respectable poachers...if there is such a thing.

I would think if you were hungry.........buck or doe would not make a difference, meat is meat............I have no respect for anyone, legal or not , that does not respect the animal they kill and use the meat or at least donate it if they do not want it...........I have had guys give me a deer (I didn't want or ask for it) because they killed a buck and only wanted to cut the antlers off! It is perfectly legal for these guys to hunt, but I would call that poaching to some degree, the animal was left in mt shed without me even knowing about it, he called and said do "whatever " with it! Needless to say that man does not hunt on our property anymore.................If a man was truly starving and needed to put a meal on his families table I would not hold it against him, that is not disrespecting the animal it is just not having the $$$$$ to buy a tag........I think there are far worse things than that, such as the example at the beginning of this thread, wasting that animal for the pleasure of killing..........that is poaching!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The poacher should go to a food pantry, there are so many other ways to get food if your in need! How bout getting a job for starters!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Spike

The government has setup benefits for hungry people. Such as food stamps, free meals, etc. There's no need to poach deer.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

The poacher should go to a food pantry, there are so many other ways to get food if your in need! How bout getting a job for starters!
True , but what if there are no pantry's where he/she lives and what if there are no jobs? These are hypothetical questions, but i would imagine somewhere in this country it could be reality..........also realize that the DNR has stopped all funding for the pantry program in Wi., because they blew their budget on testing for CWD which will never be eliminated from our state! This brings up another question i have for you........since the DNR is no longer funding the pantry program , some meat lockers are exceptiong donated deer IF the hunter is willing to pay $20 towards the processing, would YOU be willing to pay $20 to donate a deer? (I would)
Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

I'm from NW PA, and we have a problem with the Amish folks killing more then their limit. (They are allowed to have no more then 2 deer in the household ant any time, other then legally take during the hunting season. But I believe this, if, at a last resort, the family needs food, and there is an opportunity to respectfully take game, this is not a problem, in my eyes. Now with that said, poaching is poaching. I believe there are enough services out there to feed hungry folk, its just that they are too scared, (or proud) to take advantage of these programs. Not to sayI have slightly more respect for people taking and using the animal properly, I can’t be sure. But I would rather they use it then to just waste the deer totally, right?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont respect any poachers and neither should any hunter.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

janesburg.. I guess it is because a buck is worth more to me as a legal hunter and a doe is more of a meat deer.
I have never been hungry so I really don't know what it like. There are people out there that won't eat today and they are not all lazy bums. There but for the grace of god go I. I know guys who shoot a deer then drive around looking for someone to dump it on.
I just think that if for some unknown reason my kids were crying from hunger I would poach a deer.I would hang my head in shame knowing it was wrong but I think I would still do it.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 PM

There are programs for hunters to hun for the hungry. They should try and contact one of these programs.