HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   1st hunt checklist (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/211680-1st-hunt-checklist.html)

eman1200 10-12-2007 11:00 AM

1st hunt checklist

As I sit here, not working, planning my first hunt, here is what I envision wearing/bringing. Any feedback will be appreciated.

After showering with scent free soap and shampoo, and assuming temps between a low of 48 and high of mid 60's:

CLOTHES

[ul][*]waterproof boots (mine aren't camo but dark brown, shouldn't matter...right?)[*]under armour "leggings" thingys (to keep me warm and dry, not for cross-dressing)[*]camo pants[*]camo under armour long sleeve tee shirt[*]camo fleece or jacket, depending on morning weather[*]camo fleece balaclava (face mask, whatever u call it)[*]camo gloves[*]hunter orange baseball hat and vest (to wear in and out of the woods)[/ul]

BACKPACK

[ul][*]field dressing stuff (knives, rope, gloves, paper towels, etc...)[*]snacks (already taken out of their noisy wrappers and such, kept in ziplock bags which I can reuse later for dirty paper towels, heart/liver, etc...)[*]water[*]tree stand safety harness[*]binoculars[*]flashlite[*]compass[*]camera[*]latest copy of hunting magazine which I hope to be on the cover as 'rookie of the year'
[/ul]
BOW

[ul][*]sweet Parker Buck Hunter XP with shiny new broadheads just begging for a double lung shot[/ul]

rock_slinger 10-12-2007 11:07 AM

RE: 1st hunt checklist

calls (grunt, rattle horns)
windicator.
extra scent spray or lure.
watch

huntingson 10-12-2007 11:13 AM

How far in are you going (i.e. do you really need to take a backpack, knife, compass, camera, etc)? I am just a light packer I guess. I try to take as little as possible. Whatever you take with you, good luck and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Also, don't forget your release and arm guard.

DannyD 10-12-2007 11:29 AM

Toilet paper
extra batteries for flashlight.
Cell Phone in case of emergency
Bow holder for while in stand
Release (probably with your bow but check before you leave)
Hunting license.
Good attitude and patience

Some of these things are "Of course, I knew that" items but some of us forget, especially since it is your first hunt.

densfbs 10-12-2007 11:35 AM

range finder, marking tape in case you have to trail a deer any type of distance.

wis_bow_huntr 10-12-2007 12:34 PM

diapers.....

RIStrutStopper 10-12-2007 01:47 PM

If you're planning on hunting in the afternoon, you may want to put a coleman lantern in your truck in case you have to follow a blood trail after dark. If the mosquitoes are still out a thermacell would be good to have too. A spare release is good to have. If you drop one, it will save you from having to climb back down...

eman1200 10-12-2007 01:53 PM

all great ideas fellas, thanks again from a rookie!

Vulture6 10-12-2007 02:06 PM

Something I picked up in another thread on this site - a small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide. If the blood trail gets thin, or if it starts getting dark, you spray the hydrogen peroxide and even the smallest blood spot will foam... not that you'll be spraying the entire forest, but it can come in handy when/if the blood trail starts to peter out. Keep in mind, hydrogen peroxide decays when exposed to light, so use an opaque spary bottle if possible.

TP makes for a good marking tape as well, since it is rather quickly biodegradeable.

LebeauHunter 10-12-2007 02:10 PM

Only thing I saw missing was a gear rope or reel (especially if using a climber). API makes a good one I use.

Don't forget your license, its sometimes easy to forget when your focused on gear.

Good luck.