Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA antler restrictions need changed!! >

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM

Default RE: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

i want to ask everyone who is saying genetics dont matter a ?. if genetics dont matter and an offspring from a buck wont have similar antler growth then how can places like nontypical ranch make so much money off their deer semen? and why is it that most of the deer on that ranch grow up looking almost identical to their father? check it out www.nontypicalranch.com
Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Because that is a controlled herd. A wild free ranging herd intermixes and disperses to prevent bad genetics from taking over.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: nwpahntr

your right i dont mind killing does when there are too many on the property, but i do care about good genetics. i lease a 500 acre peice of property that i want to manage over the upcoming years and its kind of hard to do that with a mature 6 point who is untouchable. I hunt mature deer, and instead of being able to harvest this 6 point and call him a trophy i now get to watch him pass genetics that i dont like around the farm. are you saying shooting a doe is a bad thing?
Thats why you take your little sister out during rifle and let her wack it with the old .300.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

let me put it to you this way, say your in your stand and a2 1/2 y.o.8 point with a 18 inch spread we'll say he scores 125walks by with this mature buck behind it 6 points, 18 wide real tall: which would you rather shoot? the 6, not because of the rack but because it is a mature deer right? but you cant. we are forced to shoot the immature buck instead. and in a sense we are forced to hunt for horns
No one is being “forced” to do anything. You still have the choice of letting the 2.5 year old walk and searching for a mature buck that does have the required points. We aren’t forced to “horn hunt” in PA with these restrictions and the state is not going to fill up with mature 4 pts. About 15 years ago I saw one of only 2 deer in my life that were huge with few points. It was a nice heavy 18” wide 4 pt. There were no excuses for his existence back then.
Funny you say that I got a 4 point on my farm now that is out over the ears and the G-2's I know are 10" I would love to look at this unique deer on my wall but cant shoot him!
Tim
Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Funny you say that I got a 4 point on my farm now that is out over the ears and the G-2's I know are 10" I would love to look at this unique deer on my wall but cant shoot him!
Tim
Tim you are making an assumtion he would have made it to what he is today under the old regs.

Under PA's old management, I am willing to bet he would have never made to what he is today So again the argument you guys bring up is not valid IMO. Your are saying "Well he is X now so I should shoot him" The reason he is alive today is because of PA AR. To say "Well I could shoot him under the old regs" does not work, because without the AR there is a good chance he would be dead. Kind of a catch 22 IMO.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I dont mind the restriction myself but I would love to hunt on SUNDAY.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

We are one State of about seven I think, that don't allow Sunday hunting! They are mostly all east coast States.[:@][:'(][:'(]
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way to solve this problem is to get rid of the antler restriction all together.

Ky has a 1 buck only rule and if you want a big buck,you wait and let the rest walk,if not then you take a small one but you are done.They promote shooting does and have liberall bag limits on them.As a result,bucks get big,real big and the government isn't mandating what size buck that I can shoot or what my kids can shoot.That is the way it should be.

We have a few wma's that mandate width restrictions,15" outside.That would solve the problem as well,just make sure it is well past the ears and you are fine.

But the same thing starts to happen,wide 1 1/2 year olds get shot and narrow bucks are left to spread their genes.I have seen quite a few bucks on our local wma that were big buck their racks go straight up,border line leagal,border line means don't shoot.

I think this is fine for a few wma's but I still don't like mandating what kind of buck I can shoot,statewide,just doesn't sit right with me and my freedoms of being an American.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does KY only let you take one deer no matter what you are using? Mo rifle is only 1 buck but archers can take 2. and almost every county is unlimited does.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The best way to solve this problem is to get rid of the antler restriction all together.

Ky has a 1 buck only rule and if you want a big buck,you wait and let the rest walk,if not then you take a small one but you are done.They promote shooting does and have liberall bag limits on them.As a result,bucks get big,real big and the government isn't mandating what size buck that I can shoot or what my kids can shoot.That is the way it should be.

Issue is over a Million hunters, if KY had a million hunters it would be way different. Why guys from states like mine(MI) pay 200.00 bucks to hunt KY

It is impossible to compare PA to any other state in the midwest. Nobody is even close to the number of hunters they have.

OBR works greatin KY, Oh, and IN. I think in MI it would work also. PA I do not think so.

Quick Reply: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.