Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA antler restrictions need changed!! >

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM

Default RE: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

ORIGINAL: tekan terror

well i gota agree,we arepassing on small legal bucks that are young, by our choice(but probably wont make it through rifle season), and can't shoot that 3 1/2 yr old spike that we've seen numerous times chasing does the last two seasons and he's not the only one with bad genes we can't shoot that is older than 2 1/2. we have great food sources, and also dont hunt tues or thurs to keep hunting pressure to a minimum, thickcover and water.as far as " we are not hunting for the rack" quote, that is exactly what the PGC has forced us to do. i would have no problem slamming these old bucks with an arrow, but i'm in a delima, we Are forced to hunt for horns. the pgc should take an approach to educate hunters on aging deer, sway backs ,sagging belly ,thick muzzles, grey faces.etc. granted some deer are hard to age in the feild. these are just my thoughts, and or mindless ramblings from a hunter in 5B, with a 3pt minimum.
The problem w/ aging bucks is that during rifle season , if some of the trigger happy guys around here that I know of , will shoot first and let it lay if it's not old enough.
The 2 day a year rifle hunter will fill the air with more lead than you can carry, if a rack that looks close to legal comes within 1/2 a mile of him.
It's an unrealistic expectation for gun hunters on public land to "take their time and age the deer" when they are running by at mach 3.

AR is here to stay because it works. I've never seen a 31/2 year old200lb. spike. Where are you hunting?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

I feel your pain. I seen a massive 4 pointer! yes 4 pointer was rediculously thick and at least 18" wide, walked under my stand 3 times last year, i called him back every time with my can. He was obviously the dominant buck in the area, but I couldnt put brow tines on him to save my life. So he went on down the trail and I shook my head, however I ended up shooting a 142" a week later in montgomery county. So Ill take the rule any day of the week. However, I also talk to the local game warden and not to bust any bubbles, but just as many 4 and spikes with a Y one one side are being shot, people just say they mistaked them. We need harshy penalties for the "Mistake kills" that is...if they keep the rule. depends on what your hunting for. Meat and a lot of lil racks, or big thickmature deer, but not so many. Just my opinion, good luck to everyone going out tomorrow morning, its finally cooled down here in SE PA so im heading out first thing in the am.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 PM

ok i dont think someof you are understanding me. dont get me wrong I LOVE THE AR PA HAS ADOPTED! and i dont hunt for horns. let me put it to you this way, say your in your stand and a2 1/2 y.o.8 point with a 18 inch spread we'll say he scores 125walks by with this mature buck behind it 6 points, 18 wide real tall: which would you rather shoot? the 6, not because of the rack but because it is a mature deer right? but you cant. we are forced to shoot the immature buck instead. and in a sense we are forced to hunt for horns. i understand the quality of the pa deer has gone way way up. im not saying i want them to change the AR all im saying is it would be nice if there could be something else to go with it. or somehow make it possible to shoot mature deer even if they dont have 4 on one side.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 AM

I agree, I am a fan of AR, but I have the same issue. I have been watching the same 6 pointer with a wide spread and heavy mass on my fathers farm for 3 years. I hunt 2D Clarion County where it is 4 on one side. If he made it through last year, we now believe he is 6 or 7. I have had him in front of me the last two years. We have not seen him yet this year so I don't know if he made it through the last rifle season. I wish there was some way to take him as he is a monster, but I don't think letting guys judge spreads is the answer.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Prime example of why Gary Alt left. No matter what restrictions are in place or not in place, there are going to be unhappy people. I heard that it was a $150 fine for killing anything smaller than 4pt/side, is that true? I grew up hunting Greene and Washington counties, if it had a nub it was shot. I also grew up spotting and I know there are some monsters out there. But I also shot every small rack buck that walked by, because I was young and didn't know about letting them grow. I shot more than my share of small racks (nothing illegal just that I shot a lot of deer) because if you didn't, he would walk over the hill and get shot by someone else. There isn't a rule or restriction that will apply to all situations and everyone won't be happy, but I will trade you for some of the places I have lived.

archer58 - my parents used to own land up at Treasure Lake, it's been 25 years ago, but it was a beautiful place.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I frequently see a very nice mature 4pt buck. (2 points per side) And everytime I just wish I could take the shot. He has got to be at least 4-5 years old now. I have seen him the past 3 years and his rack just gets more and more mass but never more points. His body is huge. I might even go as far to say he is the biggested bodied PA deer I have ever seen in person. But again, each and every time I just have to smile and hope he's not passing on those genes.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

say your in your stand and a2 1/2 y.o.8 point with a 18 inch spread we'll say he scores 125walks by with this mature buck behind it 6 points, 18 wide real tall: which would you rather shoot? the 6, not because of the rack but because it is a mature deer right? but you cant. we are forced to shoot the immature buck instead.
No law is perfect. Bottom line: which senerio happens more? The one posted above, or a 1.5 year old six gets the smack down put on him cause he is legal cause you want to reduce the point restrictions. I have a 3 point restriction and i wish it was four. I monitor 200 acres nearly all year round with a truckload of game cameras and I only had one deer like you mentioned. ( a 3.5 year old six point last year)If he is the exception to the rule in order to getbetter deer than I am happy.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I am certainly not complaining at all. Just saying a mature buck like this is a shame that it can't be taken out. I believe that deer is at least 3 1/2 based on the body. I have a picture of him as a wide 4 point (no brows) from last year.

I'm all for the antler restrictions and have this argument with my Dad and his friends all the time. I was just pointing out the that sometimes there are flaws.

And I'm also with you guys that I think in a year or so, he may have some extra points that will make him legal.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

I frequently see a very nice mature 4pt buck. (2 points per side) And everytime I just wish I could take the shot. He has got to be at least 4-5 years old now. I have seen him the past 3 years and his rack just gets more and more mass but never more points. His body is huge. I might even go as far to say he is the biggested bodied PA deer I have ever seen in person. But again, each and every time I just have to smile and hope he's not passing on those genes.
Actually, his genes may be great. Once bucks get to certain age, their racks go downhill. There are other factors also. If he is not of a dominate nature, or there is something wrong with him physically, he will grow an inferior rack despite good genes.
Find a kid and go get that mossy head. Would make a great first buck for some kid.

Quick Reply: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.