Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA antler restrictions need changed!! >

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Default RE: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

i agree with that, i do see better deer, more deer and finally older deer. and i agree with letting youth hunters shoot any buck, i just think that the wholestate needs to either go with 3 on one side. i have seen 2 big six points this year, if either of them had 8 instead they would be shooters. hopefully a youth can connect with them.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

same happened to me in Greene County 2 years ago. I had a nice 6 point with about a 20" inside spread approach me, I stood in my stand and shoook for 30 minutes because he wsn't legal because he had no brow tines. Would have been a nice trophy in any other state or county for that matter but in Greene County they have to be 4 to a side........
Old 10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me ask you something nwpahntr. It doesn't seem you mind killing DOES (see avatar picture) so why do you care if the PA deer have 3 or 4 to a side?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it bad genetics? Because he won't score well. That is a VERY poor "genetic" argument.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM

your right i dont mind killing does when there are too many on the property, but i do care about good genetics. i lease a 500 acre peice of property that i want to manage over the upcoming years and its kind of hard to do that with a mature 6 point who is untouchable. I hunt mature deer, and instead of being able to harvest this 6 point and call him a trophy i now get to watch him pass genetics that i dont like around the farm. are you saying shooting a doe is a bad thing?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

PA genetics are fine. Those deer come from some of the finest stock of whitetail on the planet. It's not bad genetics, it's a bad age structure.

...and I'd highly doubt that there isANY PA buck that lives it's entire life and never grows a legal rack, and dies of old age.

Prove me wrong if you can, but I don't think you can.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Dont call it bad genetics we are not hunting for the rack and if you are then you should probly not hunt. Because the only reason we have a hunting season is too keep the population in check. This is a buck that will reproduce and make more but this dose not mean his offspring will even live on your property actually the odds are that they will not. because its mother will run it off when it get to about 1 year old. Also we dont even know if the offspring will have antlers like his fathers or not I am sure you are not a 100% copy of your father. I depends on the doe too. Rember it take two. So not this dose not have bad genectics and his offspring might look like him or they might not who knows. There is nothing rong with the PA system I wish wisconsin had one like it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Just look at the difference in mature quality bucksyour state has made in just the past 4 or 5 years. I personally have noticed a huge change and I live in Oklahoma. I wish we had the same law as you have. I don't think I would be complaining at all. Ya, you might occasionally run into a mature 6, but I don't believe the odds are as great as you are making them out to be. Besides, pass on the 6, b/c there is always an oppurtunity for a bruiser 10 or 12 around the corner, especially with the age structure increasing in your area. My $.02
Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't forget to mention that is on the western part of the state and not a state wide law. Here in my neck of the woods it's 3 points to a side...I wish it were 4.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mean a buck like this....

yeah, this is what is wrong with antler restrictions. I am all for letting the little bucks grow into big ones, but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to shoot this buck. I believe he is a 3 1/2 year old deer that has bad genetics.

Quick Reply: PA antler restrictions need changed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.