Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need advice lost deer. >

Need advice lost deer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice lost deer.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Need advice lost deer.

Alright where to start? First let me state I know this is a xbow bolt. I used to have a compound bow. Unfortunately due to my impending divorce the compound has disappeared. Not really sure where it went. Luckily a friend gave me a great deal on his Horton xbow. I posted here before and everybody has been very helpful so I figured i'd start here first. I had about a month to get this croosbow ready and killed a doe on opening day. I didnt hunt much last week because of the heat. I shot the bow on Monday and it was driving tacks at 25 yds. My friend and i take today off to go hunting. Its the first cool day in while and we are pumped. I went to the ground blind and wait for shooting light. This is where the story begins. At 7:45 a nice mature 9 point comes in broadside at about 18 yds. He stops to work a scrape and I let the arrow fly. He runs in the direction he was heading, I hear branches breaking and then silence. I'm so worked up I feel like i'm about to pass out. This was a nice deer. All the crap I went through this year with my wife wanting a divorce and trying to sell the house has now gone away for a moment. I had killed my first trophy deer. Or so I thought. I wait about an hour and look for the arrow. No luck. So I go get my buddy and ask him to help. After a couple minutes of looking I find blood about 10 yds from where I took the shot. Its not a ton of blood but its a fairly easy to follow trail. Still no bolt. After about 80 yds of tracking up the hill the blood is getting heavier. Then WE FIND THE BOLT and a ton of blood! Now we decide to leave and go get breakfast. We firgure the bolt should have passed through and it didn't so lets give it some time. But we firgure with the amount of blood its probably passed on. So we come back at noon and pick up our search. We are seeing lots of blood ,bright red blood. Altough I am starting to get nervous becase I don't see any bubbles in the blood. We follow the trail for another 70 yds and it heads into a thicket. The blood is starting to get less and less. But we are still seeing drops of blood every couple feet. Not the amount we had earlier but still trackable. Now I get on my hands and knees and follow it into the thicket. There were spots where this deer had to crawl through this thicket. It was on of the nastiest brair patches I have ever the displeasure of working through. We start notice that at no point has this deer bedded down yet. Then disaster strikes. I lose the trail. After about two hours my buddy finds the trail outside the thicket. But there is hardly any blood. Then as luck would have it, it starts to pour down rain. We look and look and look. We find a drop here and there then nothing. The rain has now washed away what little trail we had left. We kept searching until 6:30 and finally had to call it quits for the night. The last four hours were spent hoping to find blood or dumb across the deer. And we found neither.
I am not ashamed to say I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe I may have wasted a deer. The thing about the bolt is it had a bunch of blood on 75% of the arrow. It just didn't have any on the front. I am posting pictures of the bolt so you can see. I obviously screwed up the shot orthe arrow wouldn't look like this. I'm just not sure what went wrong. I'm guessing a shoulder shot. Anyways I feel terrible. I'm ashamed this happened and I am looking for advice. I have killed quite a few deer and this has me really messed up. I'm mad at myself because I feel like I may have rushed the shot. I didn't feel that way at the time. But now looking back at it I keep telling myself, " If you would have a couple more seconds this might not have happened". I don't know. Well thanks for taking the time to read this. If you have any questions for me i'll be on here most of the night. I don't think i'll be getting much sleep.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need advice lost deer.

good luck remeber if you leave a deer for a long period of time use flags or something to mark the trail or even sue a can of marker spray paint
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were you shooting through mesh? Did you watch the "bolt" his the animal"? Was the broadhead damaged at all?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

i think you fired your arrow backwardssorry just trying to lighten things up for ya. i would say if its shoulder then that deer is dead cause youd have made the vitals. i hit a deer in the lower leg this year and got the bright red (leg shot) blood but it never got heavy and then went to nothing after 600yrds. if anything other then a vitals shot id have to say maybe a groin or neck shot depending on what end of the deer you think you were closer too. either way the deer should be dead and i think your arrow actually went through and fell out later thats why there isnt really any blood on the front cause it was sticking out of the deer.

was there any hair or fat or blood on the front at all??
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking at the arrow it looks like a possible flesh wound? Do you know where you hit it? (high,low,back???)
Old 10-11-2007, 06:18 PM

I am thinking shoulder shot since the arrow was a ways off and no bubbles in the blood. Since the blood trail is washed away i would grid search and make sure to check any nearby water. Theres a good chance he's still alive.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM

I was shooting through mesh windows. The broadhead was not damaged. My first mistake was I didnt see the arrow hit. It has green vanes and they are kind of hard to see. i did note the sound and it sounded like a good hit. No bone crunching sound.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 PM

x2 on the water. Start walking circles from where you lost the first blood, start small then bigger. Even if it's where you already looked. More help the better also. Try to get on google earth and look at the terrain.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tracked 2 last year the sound about the same. Both deer were shot low though the front leg at the meaty part. Both blood trails we had great blood for about 100 to 150 yards then tapered off. Both bucks showed back up on film a couple days later. I would do a grid search where you left off and see if he is dead and if you can't find him after that I think he still might be alive.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM

I aimed right behind the shoulder and I strongly believe thats the area where it hit. There was know fat. There were a couple brown hairs.

Quick Reply: Need advice lost deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.