Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need advice lost deer. >

Need advice lost deer.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice lost deer.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need advice lost deer.

Sounds to me like a flesh wound. Go back tomorro and make some big circles with in 1/8 to 1/4 of a milefrom where you found last blood. If you caught the tip of a lung this deer could go a long ways. We've found deer dead1/4 of a mile away from where we've shot them when just catching the tip of one lung. If its a flesh wound the deer most likely will live, kinda sounds like one but the best thing to do is go and look again to be sure. You owe that much to the deer to give your best effort at it. Good luck my friend!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Have you back tracked to the original trail? I have had deer circle back and found them dead behind me. So there was no blood on the front of the arrow at all? Where were you at in Ohio?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't give you any "advice". I can only tell you that it's not uncommon for the "hit" to be different than we imagined it. I've seen it on TV too many times....and had it happen where I would have bet my home I smoked a deer.....only to find that NOT to be the case, in reality. I don't typically see the impact, myself. I don't think that's uncommon, either.

Only you and your "help" can assess what occurred with this deer. Believe me when I tell you that I feel your pain. It's crushing. I searched (I had announced, yesterday) 7 hours for a deer, this week with a trail that petered out at 300+yds. I have nothing "good" to tell you. I can only wish you luck in either your subsequent search.....or yourability to deal with what has occurred. It's extremely personal how each of us deals with these situations.

I wish you luck in both scenarios. I'm sorry this happened.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM

There was a very small amount of blood on the broadhead. I hunt in knox and wayne county.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

i think you made a lethal hit. no bubbles in blood doesnt mean its not lungs from the sounds of it you were not ablt to search alot. do a search from the spot you shot it in a circle. walk straight from the spot for 500 yrds move over to were you could just see from that line and walk back to the spot all the way aroung and then do it from the last spot of blood if nothing turns up. usually someone who wasnt there when you shot is better at this since your mind keeps telling you the deer went were you last saw it or think you saw it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

oh also the hair being brown is a good indicator that it wasnt low or in the lower legs usually because there would usually be some white hairs from these areas.usually
Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Hang in there and keep your head up. As others have said go back and look for him. You will have another opportunity at another big boy.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:02 PM

happened to me the same way before, lost em and found em. try to get the general direction and look ahead of you for cover of some sort. always circle back though because they do do that sometimes. if any creeks or hillsides nearby look inti them also
Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM

I'll be back out in the morning. Hopefully the rain won't ruin my chances. I never heard anyhting jump when we were looking. The area we hunt is all woods with a creek valley and a pretty good size hill. Here is a pic of the area with some details of the track of the deer. Hopefully this is viewable. Thanks again everybody.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:36 PM

Thats what I meant to do.

Quick Reply: Need advice lost deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.