Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads

Old 10-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Default broadheads

who makes the best flying fixed blade broadheads

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Default RE: broadheads

there is trade offs to good flying fixed blade heads.....1. target only and 2. hunting
Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Nobody if your bow isn't tuned properly......
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sbooy42

And that's THE TRUTH...

Most name brand broadheads today fly very well...You guys wouldn't believe how much better broadheads are designed today when compare to what we were shooting back in the 60s and 70s...

Not only do they fly better, they are much tougher...I remember the first time I saw a Wasp and a Satellite, the blades were actually the thickness of the old thin razer blades, the old 2 blade Bear heads were tough and heavy...I'm so old I still sharpen my broadheads, this has come a long ways as well...Broadheads are actually sharp when you buy them, it hasn't always been that way...

I still remember going through arrows and numbering them and using the ones that flew best so they were the ones I took hunting...Bow tuneup was fairly easy, you set the nocking point, because you were using a recurve....
Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sbooy42

Beat me to it!

If your bow is tuned properly, most newer broadheads will fly pretty true. I am using slick tricks, which are flying out of my bow with perfection. I would have to say that my bow is shooting more consistanly and more acurately than ever before (mostly due to this site).
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM

i can hit really good with field points. my bow needs to be tuned?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

G5 strikers!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Yup - IMO it needs to be tuned. You might be lucky and it happens to already be tuned. Expandables tend to often shoot pretty well out of a bow that is not tuned, but not the fixed broadheads. Invest some time in the tuning process and you should be able to get field points and fixed BH's to shoot the same. Easton's website has a whole section on tuning.

On the flip side, our local archery shop doesn't believe in tuning. Their recommendation is to practice with field points in the off season; and then sight in with broadheads a few weeks before the season - and don't shoot field points again until the hunting season is over. They set your bow up perfectly when it leaves their shop, and you had better not mess with those perfect settings.

I couldn't leave those settings alone. And after a couple hours of moving the rest and nocking point as the paper tear indicated, was able to get all types of fixed BH's hitting the same as the field points. I don't think it groups any better than before, but the arrows are flying straight and I can just leave the sights alone.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

On the flip side, our local archery shop doesn't believe in tuning. Their recommendation is to practice with field points in the off season; and then sight in with broadheads a few weeks before the season - and don't shoot field points again until the hunting season is over. They set your bow up perfectly when it leaves their shop, and you had better not mess with those perfect settings.

I couldn't leave those settings alone. And after a couple hours of moving the rest and nocking point as the paper tear indicated, was able to get all types of fixed BH's hitting the same as the field points. I don't think it groups any better than before, but the arrows are flying straight and I can just leave the sights alone.
Wow, sounds like the archery centre here... They don't promote paper tuning and advocate the same thing with field tips and broadheads.. Interesting..
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

lots of shops that i talk with...good friends with owners...they are also pro shooters(last 15 years)....they say paper tuning is good for up and down tuning but as far as left and rights go....paper tuning is not the best method

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.