HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shooting Through "Shoot-Through" Netting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/211450-shooting-through-shoot-through-netting.html)

Washington Hunter 10-11-2007 12:41 PM

RE: Shooting Through "Shoot-Through" Netting

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

It has to effect it. I think the degree to which your bow is tuned determines how much the mesh affects the arrow flight. A perfectly tuned bow shooting bullet holes through paper would likely not be affected much. But an arrow coming off the bow with anyfishtail could be affected quite a bit, don't you think?
Yes and no.

For the same reason that its sometimes difficult to paper tune a bow from six feet, shooting through mesh at less than a foot won't effect it much if any. The arrow [at that distance] doesn't have any real time to stabalize, so the fletching really hasn't started to do its job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed much effect out to 40 yards or so.

Roskoe 10-11-2007 12:53 PM

I have tried it with COC heads (G5 Montec) and noted no difference in accuracy. Both bows are paper tuned. Also, the blind makers are pretty adament that you use the mesh when hunting members of the deer family. Turkey and waterfowl, for some reason, can be hunted without the mesh; but not 4 legged critters.

SD_Gobbler 10-11-2007 01:17 PM

I have shot through the mesh and am still accurate up to 40 yds without noticing any difference.

24to1 10-12-2007 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the input.

After reading all the posts I've made the decision to go ahead shoot through the netting.
The blind is already in place and has been for a while and I have been shooting everynight for about 2 weeks from the seat I will be using in the Blind.

Tomorrow is Opening Day here in Alabama. We are allowed 2 deer per day and 3 bucks for the season (Bow, Rifle And Muzzle loader combined). At least one of the Bucks must have 4 measurable points on one side.

I am originally from Eastern Montana but did not do a lot of hunting as a kid. I shot archery in a league in my mid 20's. I gun hunted for several years but hung them both up during my 30's. I am now 44 and starting my hunting career over. Cant believe I put it down for so long....Anyway, I digress.

I'll let you know how it goes if/when I get a shot.

Wish me luck!!!

Ron

PABowhntr 10-12-2007 09:03 AM

I shot a doe this past Friday evening (first time with my 5 year old son in the blind) through the shoot-through mesh of my BGT Escape DX. No effect on arrow flight out to the 20 yards that I took her.