Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

October Lull

Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default October Lull

Welcome to the October Lull period. Some dont believe in this theory, but Im a strong believer that it exists and usually occours the second week in October inthe northern statesand runs anywhere between 4-7 days. Its basically a resting period before the pre-rut. I have studdied this periodsince I started bow hunting back in 1995 and my calculations have been on the money each year. Most deer are moving only at nite and real early in the morning during the lull, making scrapes and rubs. The lull couldnt have come at a better time in Wi with wind gusts of 15-30 mph all week after a 40 degree drop in temps over nite on Monday nite. This front doesnt look like its moving out this week. If my calculations are correct, the lull should ne over early to mid week next week. Break out the horns and calls and get ready for some good hunting if the weather cooperates. Good luck to all and be patient.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: October Lull

man i hope i smack me a buck before mid next week i love going against the grain

you could be right...i havent hunted long enough to say...but i know one thing...i cant kill a buck from my couch.

im hopeful that this cold snap has them moving after that 90 degree crap....they had enough resting time!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:23 AM

I too believe in the lull, and I agree that it couldn't have come at a better time since the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate with us. I will still go out this weekend, if nothing else, to get some scouting done.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe in a lull in activity so much as I believe there is a "Change" in activity areas and behavior, that is diffucult to pin down.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying I believe in the lull, but if it does exist, I think it was the opening week here. Nothing moving whatsoever.....or it could have been the 95 degree days.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I beleive in a 'lull' if you will...where deer, particularly mature bucks, move less in daylight hours. They still move, perhaps more as rubs and scrapes increase in my hunting area, but more at night i think...I just hunt more mornings right next to known buck core areas, it seems to still work.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 AM

i killed my buck last year October 13th, that is FRIDAY the 13th. I dont want to contradict you, but I've yet to experience an Oct. lull. Not to say it doesnt happen in your area, or any other area, but I've really never experienced a time when there was no movement whatsoever
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Beagle001

i killed my buck last year October 13th, that is FRIDAY the 13th. I dont want to contradict you, but I've yet to experience an Oct. lull. Not to say it doesnt happen in your area, or any other area, but I've really never experienced a time when there was no movement whatsoever
I couldn't agree more...My experience in central WI seems that they are starting to move more in that time period. I killed my 17 point buck Oct 11...my son got his 5 point Oct 7...again, it could just be the region...
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

i'm not sure about any "lull", but, i put my trail camera on a scrape i ran across a couple weeks ago, and in the last week or so i've had bucks visiting it early in the morning, as you would suggest.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the second year in a row, my records are showing a sharp decrease in the number of deer sightings between October 7 and 13.

It may be attributable to a "lull," but I would also attribute it to the deer actually feeling the hunting pressure and reacting accordingly.

Quick Reply: October Lull

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service