Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a nice buck tonight >

Shot a nice buck tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a nice buck tonight

Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot a nice buck tonight

10-10-07 Today I left work around 2:00 and headed out for an afternoon hunt.
Got to my tree by 3:00 and settled in my stand by 3:30. From my tree I could see a line of rubs and a few scrapes that made my position seem promising. At about 5:00 a was watching a large red fox and just waiting for the first sign of deer movement, now that it has gotten cooler. Just about 5:10 I see the land owner’s wife walking through the woods with her 2 labs… I try to stay optimistic and think that since she is about 75 yards away, maybe she will even get some deer up and moving early. After about 20 minutes I saw her and the dogs go past again, this time heading toward their house… off in the distance.
So still I am thinking this is ok. I am watching and listening now for any sign of movement, since that last magic hour is approaching. About 5:55 I hear a noise, behind me, since the rain last night soaked every thing pretty well, I did not hear even the squirrels in the leaves today… so this noise caught my attention for sure. I turned to look behind me over my right shoulder… and standing there about 15 yards from my tree was this buck. I saw a really nice big body and wide dark rack. At this point my bow was on my left side hanging from a hook. I slowly reached up and lifted it off the hook and clamped my release onto the string loop… now looking back over my right shoulder… he was gone. I know he must be directly behind me… can’t risk trying to stand up… so I look slowly back around over my left shoulder and there he is… now at 10 yards.
I have to take the shot from a sitting position…. I draw…. And lean over to my left and settle my 10 yard pin right on his lungs….. SMACK!
Mule kick… and he runs off 30 yards and stops still in view. He is looking around… for about 30 seconds… then his head drops low like a hound dog on a rabbit… and he takes off on his death run. I can see my arrow stuck in the ground…. There is proof of a fine hit. After climbing down, I went to where I last saw him, I find no blood, but continue on in the direction of his run…. Still no blood, but about 50 yards further, 80 total yards from the shot…. There he is….. the last 5 to 10 yards he ran, there was plenty of blood.
Hope you enjoy the photo... I am going to ad one or two more.
DW

Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shot a nice buck tonight

Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Ok,
Last ones
DW

Nice deer and dark rack congrats!
Giant Nontypical

Good looking deer, Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real nice buck. You done good man.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Very nice, congrads! Can't wait to get my butt out into a tree somewhere!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Nice buck... I have to say I have a cousin that looks just like you. WOW. I not meaning anything bad about it, but you 2 could pass as twins...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM

How cool is that? Congrats on a nice buck!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Nice buck congrats

Quick Reply: Shot a nice buck tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.