Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Surprise this morning...graphic pics >

Surprise this morning...graphic pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Surprise this morning...graphic pics

Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Surprise this morning...graphic pics

Hey guys!

I thought I'd share some more success this morning. I had my cousin come down and hunt with me this morning, as he'd been having some tough luck seeing deer in bow range this year. I gave him what I thought was a pretty sure bet, and decided to take up another stand on the back of my property. He saw two, but didn't have an opportunity. I had a little better luck! I got into the stand about 0615 and settled in. I had to be back by 0800 to watch my son while my wife went into work for a few hours this morning, so I thought this stand would be decent for a shot, early. It's a hang on stand about 18 feet up in a whiteoak situated in a saddle that funnels deer from their nighttime feeding areas and some good bedding areas on the south facing slope behind my stand. About 0640, I hear something coming up out of the hollow headed to my saddle. I turn and clip on to ready for a possible shot. About 60 yards out, I finally catch sight of the animal, and lo and behold it's a coyote! These are always targets of opportunity in my area, and are in season nearly all year. I watch as it slinks it's way through the woods heading on direct course for the end of my shooting lane. When he reached the lane he stopped with his head obscured by some low brush, so I take the opportunity to draw. There was no wind, and the thermals should have been making any scent I was giving off rise, so I felt confident I was about to close the deal. He enters the shooting lane, and it becomes apparent he's not gonna stop. I had never tried to stop a coyote at close range before, so for lack of something better to try, I bleated at him. He jumped out of his skin and cleared the lane in one leap! He ducked in behind another tree and sat down, obscuring my angle. After a few more seconds, I decided to let down and assess the situation. While I was playing peekaboo with him, I hear another approaching from the same direction. So, I spin around and ready for another possible opportunity. Sure enough coyote #2 is approaching on the same path as #1. When it reaches my shooting lane it stops in the same position as the first. I drew and waited for it to step out....I'm guessing because the other coyote was just sitting there, #2 stopped. It was about 32 yards slightly quartering to me....I settled my pin low on the crease behind it's shoulder and released the arrow. It took off and to be honest, with the poor light, I wasn't sure what kind of hit I got. I waited about 45 minnutes and got down to check my arrow. I saw blood on the cock feather and a large clump of hair just in front of it. The blood trail was very visible. I've related before my colorblindness, and I still didn't have much trouble tracking it. It ended up running a loop behind my stand and expiring about 120 yards later. My little boy and I actually found her within 100 yards of my stand with the curving direction she took. I was tickled with the shot. It entered pretty much where I'd centered my pin and exited slightly back and low. There was alot of blood. Hopefully my efforts this morning saved a few turkeys for next spring. Here's the entrance hole:

The exit hole:

Here's the final one:

The NAP spitfires did a number on her heart as the first two pics show. I was pleased to find the broadhead intact after I recovered my arrow. I'm shooting a Bowtech Tribute set at 70# with a 28.5" draw. I'm very pleased with the Tru Glo pendulum sight I installed this past year. At 32 yards it did what it's supposed to do.

GH
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Surprise this morning...graphic pics

good job..... great shot......(im just glad it wasnt a rattle snake.... youd be getting your rearend tore up about now)..... i have lost more that one chicken to those little punks....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Great shot. Hope you get the other one too.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

1 less yote in this world is a good thing! Congrats!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Killing a Coyote with the bow is pretty cool! Congrats! A good way to stop a coyote is either lip squeak at close ranges or give out a dog woof type bark. That should stop them in their tracks! Good luck and shoot another one!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

great shot man i shoot them whenever i see them i hate those little b*****ds[:@]
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS!!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

A good way to stop a coyote is either lip squeak at close ranges or give out a dog woof type bark.
I really hadn't thought of that, but I'd bet it would work pretty good. I may trry that if the opportunity arises in the future!

Thanks!