HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Another ethics / legal question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/211321-another-ethics-legal-question.html)

gzg38b 10-10-2007 12:05 PM

Another ethics / legal question

GMMAT's post on ethics got me thinking about another scenario.

Let's say you hit one a little far back, track it all night but don't find it. You go out the next day to continue searching and you find it. BUT - the coyotes found her first, and there is literally nothing left but a head, some fur, and bones.

Are you legally required to tag the deer, even though the the coyotes left nothing for you? Are you ethically required to tag the deer?

kill_it_n_grill_it 10-10-2007 12:07 PM

RE: Another ethics / legal question

Well, is there any evidence that in fact you shot this deer?

GMMAT 10-10-2007 12:08 PM

Speaking for me personally.....it meets all the reuirements of a kill AND a recovery. I don't see how you could NOT tag it.

I also think there's plenty who wouldn't.....especially in reduced harvest (limited tags) states.

bawanajim 10-10-2007 12:10 PM

Ethics come to play when you tag a P/Y set of horns and then carry them out of the same woods that you left last weeks doe to rot in.

gzg38b 10-10-2007 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: kill_it_n_grill_it

Well, is there any evidence that in fact you shot this deer?
The arrow is covered in blood and green slime. How about that?

sdmonster 10-10-2007 12:12 PM

I would tag it then call the warden and see if there's anything that could be done so I could get some meat on the table. They may give a doe tag.

hunter25 10-10-2007 12:19 PM

Still might be tough to prove that you're the one who shot it. From the sounds of the hypothetical, there isn't a way to distinguish this deer as the one you shot the day(s) before.

But if I knew for a fact that it was my deer, then yes, I would tag the doe then go buy another tag. Then read up on how to track an animal properly as obviously I did a piss-poor job the first go around.

Killer_Primate 10-10-2007 12:20 PM

I think legally, it could probably be argued either way, but I would not tag it.
KP

kevin1 10-10-2007 12:23 PM

In my state the carcass has to be intact other than field dressing to check it in, so I would leave what was left for the varmints and use the tag elsewhere. That would be legal here.

Finch 10-10-2007 12:27 PM

Honestly, I would not tag it if it's not going home with me.