Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another ethics / legal question >

Another ethics / legal question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another ethics / legal question

Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: Another ethics / legal question

ORIGINAL: hunter25

Still might be tough to prove that you're the one who shot it. From the sounds of the hypothetical, there isn't a way to distinguish this deer as the one you shot the day(s) before.

But if I knew for a fact that it was my deer, then yes, I would tag the doe then go buy another tag. Then read up on how to track an animal properly as obviously I did a piss-poor job the first go around.
I hope you were joking when you made this comment.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Honestly, I would not tag it if it's not going home with me.
Agreed.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 PM

me too...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Happened to me this year! Coyotes got my first ever opening day bowkill and ate most of her, with in an hour and a half of the shot and 50 yards from where I shot her! I thought I heard her go down in the tall grass but waited to recover her, just in case. Weather wasn't an issue! Watched 2 Does feed in the same blood spot where I shot the first, waited until they walked off and I took my stand down, went back to the truck and dropped it off, got my cleaning pack and went back and found her just about gone! Couldn't believe it, I was bummed! I didn't know what to do, we called the Warden he came out and assessed the situation and told me not to tag it, write it off at as Coyote feed! They ate more that half of her! I wish I would have had my camera and taken pictures!

Legally tag the deer.....I was unsure thats why I called the DNR they came out and was told I didn't have to. The CO wrote it down in his notes!
Ethically tag the deer, I wanted to, the deer was a mess, I mean a mess, we have to take them in and register them, wouldn't of been a pretty site for the lady at the registration station. Then what to do with the carcass, its illegal to dump them on state land or in the garbage can in my city! If had private land to dump the carcass on I would of tagged her and registered her! Tough situation!

Tags are not an issue for me. I get 2 free antlerless tags and always buy 2 extra at the begining of the season! I always end up with a couple of unused tags that I paid for![8D]
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I think legally, it could probably be argued either way, but I would not tag it.
KP
x2... sorry that may upset some people but i dont feel like i harvested it. I feel like the coyotes did. It could have still been alive whenever they got to it, a wounded deer makes a tasty treat for some yotes.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

I think the legal requirements here in VA are that a reasonable effort be made to harvest the deer. If I made a reasonable effort (and I would make a LOT of effort) and did not recover the deer, and the coyotes got a free meal,then I would not feel compelled to tag it. I think that tagging requirements only apply to harvested deer, legally and ethically. If the coyotes got it, it means I didn't. And it means that they didn't have to get another deer for that meal. But if it was anice buck and Idecided to takethe antlers as a trophy, then I would tag it, as Idid harvestsomething.

Think of it this way: If you are pretty sure (80%+) the deer you shot died, but you couldn't find it (maybe there is a swift river running nearby or a swamp where the deer could sink in and not be recoverable), would you feel compelled to use a tag just because you thought it died? Again, I tag anything I harvest, but not anything I don't.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm wondering....for you guys who wouldn't tag it.....if your tunes would change if it was a P&Y buck?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm wondering....for you guys who wouldn't tag it.....if your tunes would change if it was a P&Y buck?
I guarentee they would change their tune. I have been watching this thread and was waiting on someone to throw that out there. I would tag it reguardless doe or P&Y.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I can lay my hands on a deer that I killed then it will get my tag. I killed (not harvested)it, not the coyotes, my tag goes on it.

What is the difference if I kill and tag a deer and then give it away? I still don't get the meat.

Like pottery barn, you kill it, you tag it .
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I guarentee they would change their tune. I have been watching this thread and was waiting on someone to throw that out there. I would tag it reguardless doe or P&Y.
I posted this on the first page.

bawanajim

[align=center][/align]
Ethics come to play when you tag a P/Y set of horns and then carry them out of the same woods that you left last weeks doe to rot in.

Quick Reply: Another ethics / legal question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.