Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got A Problem... >

Got A Problem...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got A Problem...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got A Problem...

Move if there is no food or anything to attract them. They take a while to come back to an area that's been having heavy traffic. i'd move.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM

I've seen deer run towards the sound of chainsaws - a place we gun hunted a long time ago had a lot of oaks and also a small patch of apple trees, the old farmer went out to cut down a couple of the apple trees to make room for a little storage building and the deer were running towards the sound. It's like Pavlov's dogs and the bells, chainsaw in an orchard is a dinner bell ringing!
Old 10-11-2007, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor did the same thing to his fields last year - converted them to pasture surrounded now by electric fence. It did curtail where they move . . . and when. They don't seem to like to share the pasture with the cattle although the horses don't seem to bother them much. The travel patterns changed a bit and the worst problem was that my neighbor bulldozed a couple trails through a heavy briar-filled thicket so the cows could get to the creek in there. THAT thicket was wherea mother load of deer bedded and it's been nearly devoid of deer most of the intervening time since.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a place where the owners fenced off areas for their horses. The deer regularly crawl under or jump over the fences. It doesnt stop them. Last time out, the landowners wife was raking acorns near my spot because she didn't want her horses eating them and getting sick. I stayed there, figured she was as much of this habitat as anything else, and besides she was raking the acorns to the side of the fence I was sitting on. Well, her horses all crowded around to vacuum up all of the acorns she missed, and all I had in range that afternoon was 6 horses. The week before, I took a doe under that oak tree, and the week before that saw a couple more feeding but offered no shot. Those were the only 3 times I got out to hunt that property so far (moving stinks...) I told her after the hunt that I didn't see anything, she did in her big field. She says the horses don't bother the deer, she sees the deer and horses together regularly.