Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing Treestand question >

Climbing Treestand question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Treestand question

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Climbing Treestand question

I have been bowhunting for a few years now and have been using ladder stands, but lately I want the ability to move around and have decided on a climber. They look really nice, ive never used one and I can grasp the concept of getting up the tree but how do go about climbing down? Also, how does your weight hold up the stand so you dont fall? I guess they are newbie questions but I just want to understand them better before I go out and buy one. ya know.

Thanks Guys
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Climbing Treestand question

Depends on the stand youre using. Most of them its the same process. Tip your feet forward to climb down. Dont make such big drops or you could end up in trouble. Go a couple feet at a time. They are pretty easy to use as long as you practice with it before you hunt with it. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your question about weight....most stands (all?) have a cable or bar that goes around the tree for the lower platform and the upper climber.The opposing force is the climber itself, usuallywithsmall spikes or teeth wherethe platformstouch the tree.Your weight downward on both the lower and upper causes theresistance between them and the cables, pretty well securing the stand. Some climbers use a strap on the upper (climber) to keep it in place when your weight isn't on it (standing up).

Hope this isn't a confusing answer. I've been using climbers for twenty years and the basic principles haven't changed.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

where is the safetly harness the entire time? Do you have to undo that every time you step up or down ?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

I keep my saftey harness connected the whole time I go up and all the way down. Just keep it loose enought to slide as you move. It will still be tight enough to catch or slow you downif something happens. I would NEVER disconnect it.

The climbers are great if you have good trees to use. Our hunting success increased dramatically when we switched to them mainly due to the mobility. Plus they are much more comfortable.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Some are much more stable and easier than others. I would recommend a summit, once it is tight to the tree it isn't going anywhere. I wasted a little money to find this out.