Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read >

PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Default PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

The story of this buck dates back to last summer while i was going out to work on my family turkey farm. I jumped a nice 10 point along the woods beside the barnsand my obsession with the deer began.

Then, i only had a 35mm trail cam and got a few pics of him. I noticed he had a kicker off his G2 and he was about a 130-140 inch 11 point. To some maybe not a big deer at all but for me and central PA he was pretty much a giant. With my biggest thus far being a 115 inch 8 point.

I hunted him a few times in archery but with my first year at college and wrestling i didn't have much time to hunt. I then heard an 11 point was killed around the area which wasn't hard to believe because the spot where i have the pictures is about 70 yards wide with houses around. Not where most would hunt for a trophy deer. And i own about 5 acres of woods at most.

Later that year after rifle season my brother in law jumped the deer just down over the bank from my house and again the hunt was on in flintlock. My dad put on a one man drive, because that's all it takes, an jumped the buck. He stopped 15 yards away and when my powder burned up and there was no shot i dropped to my knees in anger.

This summer i got home from work and my mom greeted me with "he's back!" and by this time i had purchased a Cuddeback. Took it out to the same spot and in late June he was already a heavy 8. Over the next few months he grew and grew until i realized he was splitting into 12 with much more mass. Not believing my eyes the obsession began again with sleepless nights and the counting down of days. He would walk by the camera nearly everyday at the most odd times of day which made it all the worse.

It was that time of the year to return to college and i couldnt wait for the weekends to come home and check the camera. The last two weeks were heartbreakers when he seemed to turn nocturnal.

Opening day 9/27/07:
I woke up at 4:15 showered with dead down wind and walked 200 yards out by the turkey barns and climbed the stand my dad and i set up months in advance. I climbed the tree and was settled in by 5:20 a.m.....knowing i would have well over an hour to sit in the dark i called my dad to assure him i made it up the tree alright.

After closing my phone i began to hear some walking in the leaves. Around 5:40 a.m. i heard a deer walk directly under me and over towards my camera. The camera flash was blinding so i didn't get to see the deer but immediately thought of him.

I had planned for an all day sit but forgot something to eat and drink. I climbed down around 10:30 and grabbed the compact flash from the cuddeback and walked back to the house. I grabbed something to eat and drink then stuck the card in the sandisk to view it on the T.V.....sure enough there he was on the Cuddeback 9/29/07 5:41 a.m.

I quickly returned to the stand for the rest of the day sit in the heat. A few more hours went by while bordom and knodding off in the heat set in around 2 p.m. i heard a sound from back towards my house that sounded like a soft grunt. I brushed it off thinking it was far too early and kept sitting a little more alert. Again around 2:15 the faint sound came from the same direction. I figured what do i have to lose? It's hot and deer movement will be limited so i gave a few soft grunts back that direction.

Around 2:24 out of the corner of my eye i caught the glistening of a main beam with extra points than im used to seeing on top. I took my eyes off of him quickly and reached for my bow and attatched my release. I kept my eyes on his legs coming through the brush and waited for him to step in the shooting lane out in front at 17 yards. He took two steps in and i let out a soft bleat, settled the 20 yard pin low and in the crease. Squeezed the trigger and watched the arrow sink just where i wanted. I watched him run 30 yards and fall over and immediately broke down in tears and began calling everyone.

My dad, mom, sister, 7 month old nephew and my pap all came out to witness the short track job. and that's where the story ends.

I had him scored by a game commission employee in the Shippensburg area (college i live in Lewistown, PA) and he came up with a gross score of 179 and a net score of 171 3/8......at the end of november i'll get the official score.

He had a 16" inside spread, 18" outside spread, 10" G3's, 24" main beams. He had 5" circumfrences at the bases and carried the measurement up to the G4.

I have way to many pictures to past so i'll just post the link of my photobucket album. Be sure to check out all 13 photo's. it tells the story a little too.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/PA12pt/?action=view&current=week2930079.jpg

Thanks for reading and goodluck to all,

Adam

Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

Beautiful deer. Congrats!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

Well done PA, thanks for sharing the great story. A true congrats to you on an incredible deer.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to bust the rest of the PA bubbles but the big bucks coming in 3's is complete

Congrats on a BOONER! Awesome buck!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Wow! Thats a hoss! How much did he weigh?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

OH MY GOD!!! A buck like that deserves it's picture in the thread. Congrats on the buck of a lifetime.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a truly great buck, and awesome story. Congrats to you on a fine season.
Giant Nontypical

Holy Moly.
bigcountry

Wow, looks like that PA Deer Mgt is working. Awesome deer. So far, seen some great deer from PA woods this year.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, he is a really nice buck!

Quick Reply: PA opening day buck of MY liftetime!!!!!! A long story worth the read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.